Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum and CNC routers.

I have bought myself a 3018 CNC router (10000rpm Spindle & 1/8" collet) so I can get a handle of the basics.

I am just wondering what the best bit and collet combination for cutting shapes out of 18mm reclaimed pine wood. The bits that came with the router don't seem to be up to the job. not 100% sure what they are as they were not labelled so I would rather just go out and buy the bits I need.

I am not too fussy about the final finish as I will be sanding and staining the wood.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you say that the bits that you have are not up to the job, what do you mean? Almost any bit will cut pine so long as you are using good feeds and speeds. Is the 10000rpm speed fixed or is the router variable? At that speed, feed rate will need to be low, even in pine.
Any two-flute up cut or down cut end mill will work fine, but with more information, you may get some ideas here to improve the performance of your machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When you say that the bits that you have are not up to the job, what do you mean? Almost any bit will cut pine so long as you are using good feeds and speeds. Is the 10000rpm speed fixed or is the router variable? At that speed, feed rate will need to be low, even in pine.
Any two-flute up cut or down cut end mill will work fine, but with more information, you may get some ideas here to improve the performance of your machine.
Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the bits are low quality metal, but I am just guessing here as it was a cheap desktop CNC and it came with 20 bits.

Its a variable speed spindle.

Just to add, I am more interested in doing the cut as fast as possible not concerned about the finish if that helps.

Thanks

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,322 Posts
Are you wanting to cut contours or edge treatment? If you're just cutting the contour (outer profile) then get a good spiral downcut carbide bit. You'll be very limited with the 1/8" collet when it comes to feed rate, though. You can probably cut fairly fast if your depth of cut is shallow although you'll have to make many passes to cut all the way through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you wanting to cut contours or edge treatment? If you're just cutting the contour (outer profile) then get a good spiral downcut carbide bit. You'll be very limited with the 1/8" collet when it comes to feed rate, though. You can probably cut fairly fast if your depth of cut is shallow although you'll have to make many passes to cut all the way through.
Thanks for the advice.

I am just wanting to cut simple shapes from the center of the wood all the way through. There is no detail to cut or carve just the outline.

I did a test 50mm circle and with Easel settings it took 17 minutes. o_O I am hoping I can cut this time down a lot using the right bits.

I don't mind buying a 1/4" collet and bits if it helps speed the cut up. (y)

·
Administrator
4,322 Posts
I don't mind buying a 1/4" collet and bits if it helps speed the cut up.
You'll get a lot stiffer bit and more choices available. On that machine you can probably cut the max feed rate with a 1/4" bit, or at least far faster than a 1/8" bit. Yes, 17 minutes is a long, long time to cut something that simple and small.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll get a lot stiffer bit and more choices available. On that machine you can probably cut the max feed rate with a 1/4" bit, or at least far faster than a 1/8" bit. Yes, 17 minutes is a long, long time to cut something that simple and small.
What sort of spindle and bit is required to cut through 18mm pine wood in a single pass, if that's even possible or recommended? :geek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
rule of thumb for depth of cut, is 1/2 of bit diameter. so for a .25" dia cutter, that is a 1/8" depth of cut. can that be exceeded - absolutely with experimentation of rpm's, feed rate, and bit choice. the more robust the machine, the more likelihood of success.

however, you should be able to run at your machines (near) maximum feed rate with the 1/2 rule, with good hold down.

i have heard of larger machines flying through 3/4 plywood, full depth, .25" bit, at several hundred ipm's.

·
Administrator
4,322 Posts
What sort of spindle and bit is required to cut through 18mm pine wood in a single pass, if that's even possible or recommended? :geek:
A lot more robust than the machine you have, I'm afraid. It's very rare for me to work with Pine but I usually cut through 3/4" Walnut/Maple/Cherry in two passes at 175ipm. Pine, while it is softer, is worse about chips clearing unless you're using an upcut bit. Even then it's not uncommon for the bit to become clogged with chips and then overheating begins. I cut through 1/2" Baltic Birch ply in one pass with a 1/4" compression bit at 175ipm to 250ipm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rule of thumb for depth of cut, is 1/2 of bit diameter. so for a .25" dia cutter, that is a 1/8" depth of cut. can that be exceeded - absolutely with experimentation of rpm's, feed rate, and bit choice. the more robust the machine, the more likelihood of success.

however, you should be able to run at your machines (near) maximum feed rate with the 1/2 rule, with good hold down.

i have heard of larger machines flying through 3/4 plywood, full depth, .25" bit, at several hundred ipm's.
A lot more robust than the machine you have, I'm afraid. It's very rare for me to work with Pine but I usually cut through 3/4" Walnut/Maple/Cherry in two passes at 175ipm. Pine, while it is softer, is worse about chips clearing unless you're using an upcut bit. Even then it's not uncommon for the bit to become clogged with chips and then overheating begins. I cut through 1/2" Baltic Birch ply in one pass with a 1/4" compression bit at 175ipm to 250ipm.
Thanks for the replies.

I will order the collet and bit and see how it goes.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
G'day @digots , welcome to the forum.
Glad we were able to help...

Reactions: digots

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Looks like a great deal of information on this CNC on youtube.

Almost makes me want one......LOL...

Reactions: digots
1 - 13 of 13 Posts