Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a veteran carpenter and woodworking, having built some frames, furniture (shelves, chest-of-drawers, several captains’ beds, etc.) and small buildings. Far from expert, I am a passable craftsman.

As I near retirement, I want to complete my shop tool collection and start honing my skills.

Always willing to take on new projects (especially if they involve new tools) I recently got a Porter Cable 4216 dovetail jig. My first couple of attempts we pretty dismal; tried to make through miniature dovetails in 3/4" stock, loose router clamp made stair-step tails, used wrong edge guide etc. I finally made a beautiful box with miniature through in 3/8" red oak stock, and a very passable half-blind in ¾” pine.
I found the PC instructions somewhat lacking, but did find a supplemental instruction guide (perhaps from this forum) for this jig at Rocker which has more and better information.

One point is the depth setting. I believe the depth of the stop on the three templates (half blind) themselves should always be 3/8”. I cannot find instructions for the depth screw that is fixed to the jig base – Tails/Box on the 4213 and 4215, but I think it should always be the thickness of the stock, so it should be set flush to the bottom of the template when it is placed on the jig without the wood in place. Any advice from you seasoned craftsmen is welcome.

I also took up scroll sawing. My first overly ambitious project is a 10” fretwork cross with 60 cutouts. It turned out well enough that I wish I had used solid oak instead of ¼” oak plywood. I used a spiral blade and some of the cuts are a little rough – lots of sanding in my future.

Thanks,
Milo

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Milo,

Welcome to the Router Forums.

Thank you for sharing the photos of your work. The cross is impressive!

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
G'day

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us, Milo.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts