Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning my name is Thom and I am new to the cnc routing world. I just purchased a used home built cnc router and in the process of setting it up in my awards shop. It came with a 2x6 structure for the base with a wood top. I disassembled it and left the wood top off. I’m getting a 1/4” 5x6 sheet of aluminum for the main top to where when I put my wood top on I don’t have to level it out each time I have to replace it. Is this a good idea. I’m getting the aluminum tomorrow.
It’s good to have help and thank you for letting me in.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcmoe to the router forum, Thom

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Cutting through your work piece into the area underneath happens. Get ready for it. I think I would install a 3/4 inch mdf board on top of the aluminum. Just my opinion. I have seen a lot of other setups on the net.

Good luck with your new toy.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think pictures or more info would help the experts critique your situation better .Pm me and I’ll give you my Email address , and can post them for you if you like .
I’m not 100% positive, but I believe you can post JPEGs as of now if it’s off your computer and not a link

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
You say it has a 2x6 base and you are getting a 5x6 sheet of aluminum for the main top. I'm with Rick I think we need some pictures.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Thom!

I built a CNC router last year and posted the build here at Router Forums if you want to take a gander at it. One of my best and most frequent customers is a trophy shop near me - I do a lot of Walnut work for them and get to use the CNC for some of it.

I'm with Mike, Mike, and Rick - we need photos and be careful with that aluminum. For one thing it may not be quite as flat as you think so check that out pretty closely.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.