Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Keith and welcome. I found a picture of an 1101 and according to the picture it's ancient. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-porter-cable-guild-router-model-1101 I haven't been able to find even a schematic for it so far that shows the part. Maybe one of our members has one. Collets are the biggest problem to find with older routers since they are prone to wear out over time and are the first part out of stock once parts have quit being made for that model.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome to the forums N/A...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
'Morning, Keith; welcome! Can you give us some more background? What do you want to do with it; what's your woodworking experience level; are you trying to keep your cost down to rock bottom?
I ask this because if you're serious about getting into routing you need a NEW machine with a warranty, customer service, and modern motor technology. My advice would to avoid used machinery like the plague (social distancingx10!)
Anytime I've succumbed to the temptation of buying a used power tool I've regretted it. Money down the crapper.
For the record, I favour Bosch...I have three of them.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Welcome to the forum Keith. I'll echo Dan's post. Unless there's sentimental value to the tool many times these old tools are best displayed and not used so much unless you're an ace at self repair. Now old hand tools like planes and such, have at it and enjoy them. refurbishing them is both an education and introduction to a simpler form of woodworking. But electrical motorized antiques are best collected and displayed for the most part. Of course that's only my experience and opinion.

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Collets are precision devices and a few thousandths wear and they no longer work. You can try ereplacementparts.com, but as mentioned, we get a lot of requests for collets on old gear, and most of the time, they're not available. You can contact Porter Cable but they were bought out and don't seem to be carrying old parts based on posts here. I am also a Bosch fan. I also have three, two 1617s and the Colt trim router. Hard to beat the 1617 kit. And I just don't buy used tools because I'd rather make stuff than try to find parts.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I will head your advise and let go of the search for the collet. There's a part of me that just loves putting old things back the way they were, not necessarily for use but because I get a satisfaction in doing so. Maybe I should just put that passionate philosophy into my physical well being? I do have a Bosch MRC23EVSK-RT and an old Craftsman I bought back in 1975. Thank you again for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.