Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the great white north (well, no snow yet just a frost alert for tonight).

I still have my 35 year old B&D router, but given advances since then it does not see the light of day. Instead my router table with a Freud router and a Bosch hand held router have been my tools of choice - until the college where I am taking continuing education cabinet making courses introduced me to a Festool router.

:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums oh nameless one...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi and welcome Slalom. I assume you mean Canada and there are a good representation on the forum from up here. When you get a chance why not edit your profile with a name or nickname and a location so we know who we are talking to.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum , hope you enjoy it here as much as I do :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome , Charles , to what is more a way of life than a forum .

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
G'day, from the Great South Land.....

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome Gerard...you will like it here...

Just to be clear...you've been introduced to the seductive Lady Festool and now you are drooling as she slowly walks out of the room wondering if you'll ever see her again...? Or you've been introduced, "yeah, ok", and you've moved on to reality...? :)

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Gerard , I have the Festool 1400 router and no regrets here . I think there tools are overpriced , but I've wasted money on worse things . I even bought there track saw and jig saw , plus there vacuum . Considering there miter saw .
Love Festools dust collection system , and that's what prompted me to go with them.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You bring up an interesting point: Old routers.
That old B&D, probably a 1/4" tool, is really not out-dated much.
Worn out, yes, but essentially the same machine today.
It has a rack & pinion up/down, but so has the new Makita trimmer.
Depending on how you see it, routers are about the same.
They could be a hell of a lot better but but they're not, with the exception of plungers. (But Elu/DW use a 30 year old casting).
Some have lights (led's) but Craftsman had them 30 years ago.
1/2 collets are the rule and they're very good now.
The control and work visibility are unchanged.
Switches are about the same and you still can't tell whether a machine is switched on or off from 6'.
To be sure, there are no more routers made in the USA, maybe not Canada either.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Glad you've chosen to join in the fun. Lots of friendly chatter, lots of good advice and help when someone runs into a snag. Don't be shy about having your say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts