Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know . I got a 1/2 dove tail machine from harbor freight. I’m trying to make blind 1/2 dovetails . My problem is everything I read says to use a 1/2 dovetail and a 7/16 guide bushing then from the top of router bit to the router base should be set at 9/16. I can’t get the 9/16 because ID on the bushing hits the 1/2 router bit . This is my second time to buy bushing.

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
That is a very hard machine to set up properly. I gave up on a similar dovetail jig and got a different one.that lets you use the table and a dovetail and straight bit with a bearing on it like this one.
Font Tool Parallel Metal Auto part

When you use a bushing, you must be certain it is centered. If the bit is touching any point on the bushing, it is not centered. To do that you need a centering cone, something like this. You will loosen the base that the bushing is attached to and adjust the base until it rests perfectly on the cone all the way around. Tighten to base up with the cone in place and then when you put the bit through the bushing, it will clear it all the way around. BTW, best to send a picture of your setup. I'm just assuming you got the old Porter Cable style jig.
Material property Glass Transparency Still life photography Titanium

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts