Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Jorge (George) came from S. America a bunch of years ago. The idea was to get an education & go back...but then I met Elaine & my plans changed entirely. Been married for 35 yrs. My experience has been repairing Beemers, Mercedes Benzes & Porsches (had a repair shop for about 30 yrs, sold it & retired) Found working on wood very soothing, but I'm sure I will need lots of help. Right now I've got a question..plan to build two end tables for our living room. 24" high,30" long & 20" wide, I currently own a 10" delta table saw, a 6" jointer, a 12" planner , a router & basic hand tools, in order to build my project should I purchase a router table with all attachments?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
jorge altamirano said:
Hi,

My name is Jorge (George) came from S. America a bunch of years ago. The idea was to get an education & go back...but then I met Elaine & my plans changed entirely. Been married for 35 yrs. My experience has been repairing Beemers, Mercedes Benzes & Porsches (had a repair shop for about 30 yrs, sold it & retired) Found working on wood very soothing, but I'm sure I will need lots of help. Right now I've got a question..plan to build two end tables for our living room. 24" high,30" long & 20" wide, I currently own a 10" delta table saw, a 6" jointer, a 12" planner , a router & basic hand tools, in order to build my project should I purchase a router table with all attachments?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

Hello Jorge, Welcome to the RouterForums :)

You could build your own Router Table as one of your first projects. I have 3 router tables and 1 of them I just inherited. I have not built one yet but plan to do so in the future.

You could always purchase one from our Sponsor Oak Park if you decide not to build one.

·
Retired Moderator
639 Posts
Jorge, welcome to the forums! Glad you decided to join! Should you purchase a router table with all attachments? I would say yes! It'll be worth it. Once you find out everything you can do with a router, router table and accessories, you will continue the hobby and find new projects to do with it. It is an awesome machine. Again, welcome!

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jorge. The router table is one of the most useful tools in the shop but remember not all router tables are created equal.

I have been a part of the design team for the Oak Park system for over 25 years and find a variety of objectives that need to be addressed to help the end user. Here are a few of the things we felt the router table needed.

1) The table needs to be able to be set up in minutes by anyone.
2) Table needs to interface with all types of routers easily and be able to change router bits quickly and accurately. We designed the first router base plate over 25 years ago to complete this need. Now most router tables incorporate the base plate.
3) New design of brass guide to accommodate the new router collets on the market.
4) Table needed to have a simple, quick and accurate fence set up procedure designed to complete the general table operations.
5) The router table needs to have a convenient place to store the router bits.
6) The router table needs to have the ability to produce a variety of wood joints easily. We required the table to make the box joint, the rabbet/dado joint, and sliding dovetail joint.
7) The router table need to have video back up to identify/show all of the new procedures.
8) The router table system needed to have some project material to try the set up. For this we included pre-cut material so everyone can make his or her first project within minutes of set up.
9) Then this table needed testing to ensure that it worked as designed. This table was put into a hands-on router workshop environment to prove the design.

We use the Oak Park system RW40002 on the Router Workshop because it works and make us look good on TV. It was fun to design and it is fun to use.

Just my 2 cents,

Regards, Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.