Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can ya' find 'em?

Decided last weekend to either get the dust collector or a toy, and Ken and I (after talking to the guy at Performance Tool) decided against the Dust Collector (for now.) I'm going to need dust collection mostly for sanding. For that, we've got a couple ideas. I'll share later. We also changed out the top on the cart that the miter saw and planer are sitting on. Got a great deal on it, and bought Ken a 20v DeWalt 7 1/4" circular saw. He deserved a new toy, for all the work he's putting in to my workshop.

So I got two additions to the shop, and last night, I actually tried out the desk and cut a sign. Played with my new planer, and was covered from head to doe in wood chips. It was awesome lol. Tonight, I was able to cut a larger sign for my sister in-law, which I'll post both, sometime this weekend.

Hung up three signs above the main entrance... My very first sign I made using the B&D Rotary Tool Ken bought me back in '97. The one on the left was the replacement once I started using the router, and the one on the right, was my first experiment with the 'V' bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nice going Barb...

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
down draft table for the sanding???

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You have a nice workspace Barb. Even without having the walls and ceiling sheathed it looks nice and bright.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Shop is looking good Barb
You really need to get a vacuum on the planer or a big shovel, it will put a lot saw dust on the floor.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Nice one.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
down draft table for the sanding???

Thanks, Stick. That's ideas #3 & #4 :wink:

Not to mention, those would work with the plug attachment we bought.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice, Barb...shop looks great...

Don't let dust collection get too far down the road...that planer will make you go out and buy a new snow shovel...

When I put too much sawdust into my dust deputy and shop vac it overwhelms the dust deputy...the sawdust goes round n round in the DD. Chips from the planer will overwhelm it even more.

Good luck in the new shop...well deserved...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yoir shops looking really good Barb. How I wish I could keep things that clean and organized
I'm not so clean and organized, Rick... I haven't really begun to work in there yet. :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
Really nice Barb. That DeWalt planer is a great tool, and it really spits out the chips. They're fluffy too so the volume is terrific. Attached are a couple of pix of chip collectors some 735 owners came up with for that planer. They are passive because the chip ejector on the DeWalt is so aggressive. These have an in port and a screened opening on top so the air can escape, but the chips are held in (most of them anyway). Very inexpensive way to prevent chips in every nook and cranny, your hair, clothes, the rafters,under stuff and on top of everything. I don't mind sweeping a little, but chips from a couple of boards will clog many dust collectors and fill them up fast. It just needs to have a large screened opening so the pressurized air can escape and not build up backpressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
For my DeWalt 735 planer I quickly decided to do all planing outside my shop. There isn't enough room inside anyway. I have a 60 gallon plastic barrel hidden behind my shop that I get and attach it to the planer with the DeWalt accessory hose and barrel cover. No chips escape, unless the fabric barrel cover draw string comes off the barrel. Then I get to clean chips out of the neighbor's pool. Trying to feed the 735 into a dust collector will fill your dust collector way to quick. I can fill my barrel with planer chips in about an hour. Just something to think about.

Looking great Barb. I wish I had that much shop space.

Charley

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Barb, your planer looks awfully close to the tippy end of that table. Any closer to that unsupported end and you lose a planer. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Barb, your planer looks awfully close to the tippy end of that table. Any closer to that unsupported end and you lose a planer. Just sayin'.
I promise, Thomas, it's not going anywhere. :wink: That frame is tubular steel alloy, and the table top has less than 12" hangover at either end, and actually, it's almost centered over the frame, so it's safe. I have too much money tied up in those two tools alone to have anything fall.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Barb, Workshop looks good. You have a nice selection of tools there! Ken must be a good man!:wink: Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts