Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been an exceptional last couple of days

Friday I retired. Finally.

Saturday had a goodbye party for the house. Very emotional with the kids reminising about 30 plus years of raising the kids and some of the grand kids. :crying:

Sunday loaded up the car, again, and headed to South Carolina.

On Monday we closed on the house that we were selling. :sold::unsure::unsure:Now we have to budget tightly- easier said then done.

Monday was my birthday. thanks to all who send me greetings.:thank_you2:

Can't deal with too many things a once any more. Emotionally drained.

So new life, new digs, new adventure and yet "the beat goes on & on":unsure:

smitty

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
WOW!!
you sure got up to yur eyeballs in busy..

but did you get cake???

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Congrats on retirement !
That must be a neat feeling to have the option to sleep in in you want lol

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Retirement is deadly unless you find something to look forward to every day. A time for volunteering, engagement is a great club or organization, find a way to contribute to others. Explore the new community, check out the clubs (forget the ones that offer Bingo). Find a learning in retirement group. Take up some new challenge and keep moving! Find joy in making new friends at church, in the new neighborhood and pursue what you have thought about doing, but never had time for.

Re-kindle the romance with your wife. Have fun together doing new things with new people. Don't have to spend money doing that.

My best wishes. Going through semi retirement myself and I just don't want to become a vegetable Finally, one thing that really messes guys up is loss of hearing. If you have a loss, check out some of the new hearing aids that have a tiny "speaker" in the ear, the quality of sound is great and it will get you re-engaged in life. You'll live longer, be happier than if you shut down.

I'm giving myself this advice too, as a reminder that most of the people I know who didn't stay active lasted only a few years and weren't very happy.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You're going to wonder how you ever found time to work. I'm busy doing something from the time I get up until 11 pm every day, when I shut things down for the news. I just don't hurry and panic (except for the 7 2' signs for one customer I got to carve and finish by Labor Day) - I gotta admit it's pretty nice.

If you planned accordingly, you'll have a pretty good time.

HJ

Still learning about this once a month fixed income thing.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, the once a month fixed income is rather hard to adjust to, but doable.
Do keep busy... and keep your mind challenged or you will suffer for it. As I type that, I wonder if it's as much of a problem as it was for older generations because we do tend to have more available to us for business, both physically and mentally than may once have been the case.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You're going to wonder how you ever found time to work. I'm busy doing something from the time I get up until 11 pm every day, when I shut things down for the news. I just don't hurry and panic (except for the 7 2' signs for one customer I got to carve and finish by Labor Day) - I gotta admit it's pretty nice.

If you planned accordingly, you'll have a pretty good time.

HJ

Still learning about this once a month fixed income thing.
break it into two payments to yourself (on paper if need be) and stick to it...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Smitty it took me two years to get the hang of being retired. Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Smitty it took me two years to get the hang of being retired. Hope you have better luck.
you are suppose to start practicing years ahead time so that you get it right on jump off day...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
You started it the right way by retiring.

Looks like you will be more than busy for awhile with the adjustments and then the real fun part of retirement kicks in. Just remember everything doesn't need to be done between 8 and 5 nor between M and F. You're working for yourself now, enjoy it!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Smitty everyday has just become a Saturday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
All of us are blessed by having woodworking as a hobby or former profession. Now you can spend days instead of hours in your new shop and make things for yourself or others. Don't forget traveling. We have enjoyed many driving vacations and generally try to stay off of the interstate system so that we can see the real countryside. One further thing that I have fond is that by joining an exercise class (for old farts) you will gain a new set of friends along with the health benefits. As stated by many others, the most important thing is to stay busy and have fun with your new lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Smitty,

You set your own hours and pace ........ but the pay does suck!!

HJ

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Congratulations and good luck Smitty.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Congrats on all of it Smitty. Hope all goes well with the move. At least being retired you'll have time to move.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you will find Mondays are great days being retired. No rushing back to work.

When I first retired I drove to many places. I guess I was just going through the work motions. After about 6 months I learned to relax and to stay home more. I really started planning my trips.

It is great to be retired.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hope you enjoy SC but you picked the wrong time to go. It is hot as H--l in SC during the summer. Lived in & around Columbia most of my life. Lots of history and things to see in the state. I "technically" live in TN but split my time between TN (summer) and SC (winter). Now that you are retired and moving South you will have to adjust to a "slower" pace of life. lol I'm sure you will like the state, you can easily be in the mountains & the sea coast in the same day. Enjoy your retirement and welcome to my home state.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
TN ain't no picnic in the summer either.

HJ

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on retirement. I hope you can enjoy it as much as I plan to when I retire in 4 years. I think about it everyday. We were fortunate that we could purchase the retirement home near our son and his family before we retire so we can get everything done before the big event and while we still have a steady have income to pay for it all. The fixed income is what I fret about most.

I was thinking the other day when I was walking the Cairn Terrier we have that I need to adopt her attitude. We try and walk around the park daily 2-3 time and every day she is just as excited about the walk as the first time we ever went. We have gone around that park over 1000 times now and she never wavers in her excitement. I need to adopt that attitude.

Rich

1 - 20 of 27 Posts