Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to this forum. I have been in woodwork for a few years as a hobby. I needed a router table and started looking and was shocked a little by the prices. I thought I would try building one myself. Hope to learn something here to help me get there.

Mark

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. I bought an Incra top fence amd lift , and am going to build the bottom area for storage and dust collection .
I wish I bought a lift only and built the router table and fence from scratch though .
If you go threw the pictures threads , there’s some great ideas

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Hi Mark. Lots of information here on making a router table. Much easier to do than you'd think, and making it will teach you a lot of skills. Just search for making a router table and start reading. You need a stand to hold the top, a few pieces of good ply to make the double layer top, a mounting plate to hold the router up, and some patients as you put it all together. As to a fence, here are a couple of designs I really like. The router table itself is remarkably simple, you can make a cabinet or repurpose something like a table.

The top is a double layer, preferable of really flat Baltic Birch Ply and you can either wax the heck out of it, or get fancy and contact cement a layer of laminate on top. Or, buy a chunk of laminated material and glue if to the bottom layer.

The third thing you'll want to get is an aluminum mounting plate to which you'll attach the router. This one is my favorite (woodpecker), which has a twist lock for quick changing of the insert rings. There are many different brands of alunimum plates that work fine. After piecing together the top, you'll be cutting out the top to fit in the plate. The picture of the four boards gives you a way to cut the exact opening to fit the plate. You can even get some leveling hardware to make it easy to make the plate flat to the table.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's easy to turn making a router top and table into a much bigger deal than it really is. And if you don't like it, make another.

Every step in this process is now on YouTube so you'll get lots of guidance there, and I expect others will come along to encourage you and lend their experience and expertise.

Welcome to the Forum. Nice place.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome. I've built 2 tables for as cheap as $10 using left over pieces from the shop. Don't get hung up on trying to build the perfect table on your first try. There are a lot of different configurations and each one appeals to different people. Just build one cheap to start with and then decide as you go what features you think will work for you.

By the way, melamine coated particle board makes a good first table and it's cheap. The melamine will eventually wear through but you'll know what you want by then. And that fence that Tom showed is virtually identical to the one I make. It's easy to make and works great.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Welcome aboard.

My first router table was just the top. I made it out of 2 pieces of 3/4 inch mdf and laminated some Formica to the top. It worked well for several years. There were times when I had it laid on top of a pair of saw horses. Or it was clamped to my work bench. And finally, it was attached to the end of the miter saw stand and supported by an adjustable stand.

Steve Ramsey has a video on his You Tube channel where he built the top and later the cabinet and fence.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steve+ramsey+router+table

I used the Kreg insert plate because it has a large opening and I needed that so a large raised panel cutter would fit through the opening. I made sure I bought the model that has the hole pre-drilled so the router cutting height can be adjusted from above the table. Note: I have dual routers - a Bosch 1617 and the Triton 3 1/4hp router.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.