Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hi. I live in the desert in SoCal and have always wanted to get into woodworking. Have a small, but very well equipped shop and am really getting into what you can do with a router. Have a Bosch 1617, Rockler table and lift. Making my first cabinet style tool stand for a sander. Have a DadoWiz and really interested in any suggestions to get best results without destroying downcut bits. Really getting clear that good woodworking is all about precision. Have a really good jointer and planer and that made my first serious project, a table saw outfeed table, fit firmly and exactly. My wife backs me, even hired an electrician to run a 60 amp sub panel to shop in the back. Looking forward to learning from more experienced people.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us, Tom.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Anything we can do to help, just ask.
I was at Boron for a couple years. Are you anywhere around there?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Welcome Tom! We're glad you have joined us. This is a great place to share and learn. It is a very friendly group. I have a couple of dear friends in El Cajon (last name Applegate) that, like myself; collect reptiles. You live in an interesting region. At Bob's house, it can be 95F during the day and 25F at night - interesting climate!

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I'm about an hour south of there. My daughter's boyfriend lives just a little further out in East Edwards. Went there a few times to try to see the Shuttle Land. It's pretty lonely looking out there.

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Tom! We're glad you have joined us. This is a great place to share and learn. It is a very friendly group. I have a couple of dear friends in El Cajon (last name Applegate) that, like myself; collect reptiles. You live in an interesting region. At Bob's house, it can be 95F during the day and 25F at night - interesting climate!
Hi, we have about a 35 degree change between night and day-our summer peak is about 105-108, winter it gets down in the low 20s, coldest was 4 degrees. Makes me wish I'd put in more insulation in the shop.

This year we've had a bumper crop of lizards, kind of bronze-gray and 10-12 inches long. They're living close to the house where we have flower beds and, presumably, bugs to eat. Lot of fun watching them scoot around. We're quite a ways north of El Cajon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
real desert rats

Just saying hi. I live in the desert in SoCal and have always wanted to get into woodworking. Have a small, but very well equipped shop and am really getting into what you can do with a router. Have a Bosch 1617, Rockler table and lift. Making my first cabinet style tool stand for a sander. Have a DadoWiz and really interested in any suggestions to get best results without destroying downcut bits. Really getting clear that good woodworking is all about precision. Have a really good jointer and planer and that made my first serious project, a table saw outfeed table, fit firmly and exactly. My wife backs me, even hired an electrician to run a 60 amp sub panel to shop in the back. Looking forward to learning from more experienced people.
hi Tom, looked at your bio, and so far you have no real desert address, only that you are probably in the USA. Would be helpful if you were more open about where you actually live. I live near Victorville off of the National Trails Hwy 66.
I included info on 7 species of Desert Rats that actually live in the desert.
Mark

Desert Woodrat Species
Neotoma lepida - Desert Woodrat: Found in the Great Basin, Sonoran and Mojave deserts from southern Oregon and Idaho, south through Nevada, western and southern Utah, and southern California to Baja. This Woodrat sometimes appropriates the burrow of a ground squirrel or Kangaroo Rat, and will fortify the entrance with sticks and cactus spines. It is 8.5 to 15 inches long, buff-gray above, gray below, with hind feet white.
Neotoma albigula - White-throated Woodrat: Range includes the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts from extreme southeastern California, across Arizona and New Mexico to west Texas and south to Mexico; also in extreme southern Utah and Colorado.11 to 16 inches, brownish gray above, white or gray below; feet are white. Generally chooses the base of a prickly pear or cholla cactus as the site for its home. Will more rarely use rocky crevices or underground chambers in extremely hot desert regions.
Neotoma cinera - North American Woodrat: Occupies the Great Basin Desert from extreme northern New Mexico and Arizona, north to Canada.
Neotoma devia: Found only in, and slightly north of, the Sonoran Desert of extreme western Arizona.
Neotoma mexicana: Found in a narrow strip of the Chihuahuan Desert of eastern Arizona and western New Mexico, south to Mexico.
Neotoma micropus: Found in the Chihuahuan Desert throughout New Mexico and western Texas, south into Mexico.
Neotoma stephensi: Found only in a small inter-desert region of central Arizona.
-- A.R. Royo

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Desert Rat is more a state of mind. My hair seems to grow faster here than when I lived down by the coast and I get pretty shaggy looking after awhile, especially when I don't shave every day. I live in the Victor Valley, but don't wish to post my address for security reasons--think that's a bad idea for everyone. I've thought of taking some Victor Valley College woodworking classes, but still work as a consultant so may not be able to attend regularly. Getting a lot of help by watching videos--there are lots of them online and I keep them handy in my shop.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"but don't wish to post my address for security reasons--think that's a bad idea for everyone."
Good point, Tom, and sage advice!
"Hi, junkies; I have lots of tools; come and rip me off!"
Been down that road twice. It's a nightmare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts