Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Everything is started by making a large canvas frame. Now I have got poisoned with the joy of woodworking.
It is time to build my first router table:

I just wanted to get your opinion on which brand i should go for router table setup.
I am very new to woodworking and have no experience whatsoever. I am trying to build a router table with incra positioning system. Since I still have a chance to choose the router that will stay on this table, I thought it is better to get experienced ppls opinion.
I narrowed the routers into 3 models based on price, popularity, functionality(above table adjustment etc), power etc.

PORTER-CABLE 892 - Decent power, popular among ppl, above table adjustment seems good, how about bit change while it is mounted on table?
Bosch 1617EVS - Decent power, pretty popular, I am not quite sure on ease of use of above table height adjustment: Can you lock and unlock the adjustment above table as well?
Bosch MRC23EVS: Very powerful, high ratings, same adjustment concerns as 1617. Getting power from its base, it could be a disadvantage if you get a router lift.

So above are what I found on internet.

Could you please share your opinion on router selecting to help me or other ppl as well. If this is covered on another thread here I apologize.

Sincerely
Levent

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Levent. Even with my limited experience I would suggest a Triton. It has everything you require for above the table adjustment except position locking. The only router I have used with above table locking is the Freud 1700, but it's other shortcomings discourage me from recommending it to you. Good luck. Al

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum Levent.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum Levent. Sorry as I use different models so I can't give you any input . I would repost your question in the router table thread as you'll get more replies .
Great bunch here , I'm sure you'll get some good advise

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have to agree with Al. Triton is your best choice if you don't have a lift.

Dick

·
Registered
4 Posts
A number of years ago I went with a Freud 1700 VCE.
It came down to a choice between the Freud and the big Triton.

At the time, talk around the internet was that Triton was going under and wouldn't be around much longer.

I decided to go with the Freud because of that.

LOL! Guess that didn't work out real well for me eh?

Anyhow - both the Freud I bought and the Triton offer above table adjustments.
I also run a cheap 1.75HP Ryobi in a Ryobi table as a job site tool.

Which ever way you go with what ever router you go with, make sure it has above table adjustment.
You get real spoiled by that feature real fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts