Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name is Brian and I am from the GREAT Pacific Northwest (Bellingham, Washington) and I am just starting my journey to becoming a woodworker. I have always wanted to be able to create things with wood, and I am finally putting that want into action.

Most of my work has been made with pallet wood and other recycled wood sources. My biggest project right now is creating window jams and casings for the house my wife and I are renovating. A few weeks ago, I built a very primitive router table to allow me to add 1/4" round edges to the window sills, which went nicely. Next in line is to attempt to make some fluted molding for the window casings and to build a more effective router table with some bells and whistles on it (track for miter gauges and featherboards).

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Welcome aboard, Brian.

Lots of good folks here. And, lots of info to help you get a jump start into your new hobby!

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Welcome, Brian! Great start to your 'career' in woodworking.
Would you be interested in filling out some info about yourself in your PROFILE?'Just click on your name over in the etoppish left corner...it'll open up a menu for you.
The trouble with introductory posts is that they disappear into the archive whereas the profile is there for anyone to click on. Also your name pops up automatically with your comments.
(I'm on the other side of the border, on the Sunshine Coast. On a clear day I can almost see you.)

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian .we like pictures, so hopefully you share your projects with us :)

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Hi Brian, welcome to the woodworking addiction. You might find the following article (link) helpful. It covers the 17 things that helped accelerate my learning curve. It is long and many say worth printing out. One thing about it is that it covers a decade of learning on my part, so don't think you have to do everything (buy tools, etc) all at once. Hopefully it will help you avoid some expensive mis-steps. I've tried to include options as well.

http://www.routerforums.com/featured-topics/75457-17-things-accelerate-your-learning-curve.html

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Welcome Brian - if you're into routers, this is the only place to be. But there is a lot of talent and experience in other areas as well, on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions. Post some pics of your work (if the pics are on your computer, you can post them without having to wait till you get 10 posts)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Brian and welcome. I know of 2 members that are fairly close. Herb's out on the peninsula and Ralph is down near Olympia. I'm over the border in the North Okanagan. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Brian. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Nice job on the router table. :) We have one member who has been woodworking for a long time and that is all he uses.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Brian

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check out the materials in Stick's response to the last item in today's posts. It has a wealth of information about routing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts