Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I found this forum while searching for info. on my sons Reliant DD126 belt/disc sander. It looks like a good place to be. My son loves this sander but the motor has stopped working. The only thing he can read on the motor tag is that it is 1 1/2 hp. I'm hoping that you can read the tag on yours and tell me what the rpm of the motor is.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@paparoy - welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, update your profile and include a first name - it would making conversing with you more friendy.
As to your question, information on that sander reveals the motor is 3450, but as another user asked, there doesn't appear to be a manual available.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, N/A.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Welcome. Could be a broken or loose contact. Is power getting to the motor? If yes, then it could be something simple. Some motors use a capacitor to kick a high voltage starting surge. These can dry out or leak and should be handled with great care since the can hold a charge long after the power goes down. Can you mechanically rotate the motor? If it won't move at all, then pursue the mechanical issues.

Does it try to start or make a noise when you try it? If so it could be either electrical (bad capacator for example), or mechanical (brushes jamming against the rotor for example). I don't know enough to be confident about motors, so I'd check the obvious loose or broken connection issues, and If it still wouldn't run, I'd check for any obvious blocked parts, smell it for having burned out, check that the brushes are OK, and if all else fails, then take it to a motor repair shop to get if diagnosed or fixed. Unplug before fiddling with the thing. That kind of motor is fairly easy to replace, but isn't cheap, particularly if it's American made.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts