Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Retired old fart working with wood
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all you nice people.

I have been creating wooden rustic home decor over 10 years and have been an artist for most of my life.

I have been using a plunge router free hand making signs and plaques.

I am getting older and this past year I have been experiencing blurry vision and cramping hands when using the plunge router.

I decided to purchase a CNC machine to help alleviate these issues.

February 6th, I purchased a Bobs E4 CNC with a 24" x 24" cutting area. and received it on Feb. 15th.

I am brand new at this new skill set and have a LOT to learn.

I use VcarvePro, and use Vtransfer to send Gcode to the CNC.

My husband and I built the CNC inside the house, then moved it into the garage a few days ago.

I spent the last few days getting used to jogging, homing my CNC, and setting up material onto the spoil board.

I attached a 3/4" MFD on top of the CNC spoil board, ruled a 2" grid with a sharpie, and screw my material directly to the board. I make sure to leave 1/2" wast on top and bottom of the material to accommodate the screws. I use a flat edged exacto blade to scrape down the screw marks. I find this much easier than using clamps.

I even successfully ran couple of jobs.

I will have a LOT of questions, so I hope you are ready for me.

Today in Meadville, Pennsylvani we are experiencing a lot of snow so I am staying inside the house.

Thanks for reading

Karen

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Karen!! And thank you for completing your profile! We ask that often but only about 1 in 50 do that, maybe 1 in 100.

We do like photos so show us that new CNC, your shop (unheated garage - get some heat!), tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

David

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Welcome to the router forum Karen
Sounds like your off to a good start

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
Rick
17,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum Karen . I have an unheated garage also,but I’m in the great white north lol.
Looking forward to seeing your setup . I bought a cnc also, and am hoping to have it up and running this fall .
Like you say, a lot to learn

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Welcome. When you replace your spoil board, use a V bit to carve a very shallow grid in it - .2 mm or so. Then you will be 100% lined up with your machine. A lot more accurate than a sharpie. Of course you should do that after you skim surface it to take out any of the inevitable irregularities of MDF.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
G'day Karen, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum Karen. I think you'll find plenty of support from experienced CNCers on this forum. Good to see you've already jumped in and experimented. I haven't made that leap yet but maybe some day after I've mastered my other tools........and yes, please post pictures of you CNC and projects.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Karen. When you get ready to ask questions we will have a lot of opinions, and a lot of answers, we hope they will be helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.