Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I've just stumbled onto this forum and it looks like quite an interesting and worthwhile group so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. I've been posting on other unrelated forums for quite a while & think it's a great way to share information and interests. I've had a (very) small woodworking shop for about 4 years now and after (recently) aquiring a 12" portable planer, am hoping to get into a few more interesting projects. I'm quite knowledgable about AutoCad and have used it to mock up some solid modelling. With the talent and experience on display here, I see I have alot yet to learn.

Cheers! :D

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Welcome Tartanwood. One of the best things about this forum is the fact you will always find a 2nd opinion on how to solve a problem. Do not hesitate, jump right in and share what you have learned with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glenmore said:
Welcome Tartan Wood to the forum how big is your shop? Mine is pretty small to so I know where you are coming from.
My shop is 12' x 13' and contains a table saw (Ridgid), drill press, router table (Freud), 12" band saw, 12" portable planer, work bench, racks, shelves, overhead stock storage, oscillating drum sander. There might even be room for me in there on a good day. And I still need to get a jointer in there. (I'm contemplating expansion into an adjacent storage room.)

So...... do I take the prize??? l :D

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
TartanWood said:
My shop is 12' x 13' and contains a table saw (Ridgid), drill press, router table (Freud), 12" band saw, 12" portable planer, work bench, racks, shelves, overhead stock storage, oscillating drum sander. There might even be room for me in there on a good day. And I still need to get a jointer in there. (I'm contemplating expansion into an adjacent storage room.)

So...... do I take the prize??? l :D
Well mine is 8'W x 16'w moved a lot of my stuff into my car port. Put a mitersaw, router table on one bench. The other has my planer and jointer. In the shop work bench I made a fold down model got rid of my old contrator saw and bought a ryobi fold down model. Have a drill press and vise on one table. Shelves and cabinets. Sounds like you are tighter then me though because all my work benchs I put on wheels and when my wife leaves I can go out and tinker around. What kind of jointer are you looking for I have a 4" grizzly that works great for me. Oh yeah I forgot to mention the 9" bandsaw which I tuck away on a shelf. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Glenmore, I'll have to admit you've got a pretty clever solution to your shop "real estate" problem. I hope to expand mine a bit this winter.

Re: jointers... I'm leaning toward the Ridgid 6" - but since I just got my daughter married off, that won't happen for a few months. :p

Say, Goonman... that's a nifty avatar you've got there. Reminded me a bit of some of the prints from the classic book "Clans of the Scottish Highlands" by McIan and Logan. I'll work on getting an av of my own up here soon.

I hear what you're saying there pop1... One of the great things about working in a shop is the need to constantly invent solutions and think "outside the box".

Thanx again all for the warm welcome...
See you on the Forums! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.