Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Router forum members.

I'm new into woodworking I'm looking to donate some blood, sweat and lots of time acquiring far too many splinters while learning a lot and hopefully coming out with some good builds.

I've been reading the forum here and there but thought I might post my introduction and perhaps ask a question or two at the same time.

I listed my most tools on my profile and my "shop" is a 12x12 shed I built last summer. Sadly that means space isn't abundant though I think I will expand the surrounding deck so I can work outside when the weather is nice.

I'm currently working on two projects.

1st one is a basic platform bed frame modeled after the Ikea bookshelf bed frame hack, not much more than some 3/4" 12" deep plywood made into shelves that I will use as an outer edge support with some 2x4 inner supports connecting the grouping.

2nd project is a workbench/station. I'm not as young and nimble as I once was and working on the ground is getting harder to get up from. I like the idea of the Paulk bench and it's ability to be moved around that way I can pull it out of the shed when the weather allows giving me more workable space. The standard Paulk bench is too big for my spacing and I view it more as a work station then a bench. Then I found Sketchup and think I can blend a few things into a station I can use and work with.

My plan is to build a strong base for my station with removable top sections. The table will be 24" deep, 75.5" wide and 33" tall. Once section will be a Paulk style bench (24x48") and then stackable (24x27.5") sections that fits my Miter saw and a smaller table that sits on top of the miter stand for my router. (I will be adding some tracks for guide rails/fence(s) but haven't drawn them in.

I'm planning on securing the sections with clamps so I can move them individually in case I need/want to move it outside or switch which side the saw goes on. Given my space I don't know if I'm going to attach my table saw to it, might be too narrow for proper supports.

So my questions:

What do you think of the bench set up? First impressions.

Anything I'm not seeing that might be a problem or something I should add? Perhaps make the router section to stack directly on the stand and not on the miter platform?

What clamping method would that can still allow it to be reversed if needed? My fist impression was just to use 6" wood bar clamps. But from what I've read on the forum I'm betting someone will have a better idea.

I just thought of this... If I build the work section in two pieces I can slit them and place the saw/router in middle. Hmmm, that might work real well.

Anyone happen to be on the miata.net forum?

Otto W
SW Boise Idaho, USA

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome to your new home Otto...
I believe you'll like it here and the brain trust is most impressive....
but could you put a hold on the blood donations...

these pics are of a satellite shop that isn't much larger than your 12x12 shed..
wall selves were built and covered w/ sliding doors and the doors are used as wall space..
perhaps this idea will help gain you some space...

as for questions...
ask... we thrive on questions....

the deck expansion...
consider covering it w/ some kind of roof...
glue ups and finishing often don't do as well in the sun as they do in the shade...
working in the shade will be easier on you...
not to mention a surprise shower may cut you short and set you back...
direct sunlight will rapidly alter the wood you are working on...

your projects...
if you start individual threads on each one you will get a way better level of help/advice/interest.....

workbench/station.
My plan is to build a strong base for my station with removable top sections. The table will be 24" deep, 75.5" wide and 33" tall. Once section will be a Paulk style bench (24x48") and then stackable (24x27.5") sections that fits my Miter saw and a smaller table that sits on top of the miter stand for my router. (I will be adding some tracks for guide rails/fence(s) but haven't drawn them in.

I'm planning on securing the sections with clamps so I can move them individually in case I need/want to move it outside or switch which side the saw goes on. Given my space I don't know if I'm going to attach my table saw to it, might be too narrow for proper supports
examine this video closely...
setting/locking tabs were used instead of clamps..
why not do the same???
as for your built base put it on really good locking caster....
cheap undersized caters will haunt you...
turn that built base into storage...
ie.. drawers/compartments and shelves...
fit the width to your saw...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Otto. It looks like you are on the right track by building flexability into your work space.When you are dealing with a small space you either have to do that or severely limit what you do in it. It`s hard to say if you are doing anything that can be improved on because it depends a lot on what you intend to do with the space so just keep thinking about what you want to do and what you need to get that done. As far as clamping, clamps are good but it also helps to pin one work surface to another. Clamps can loosen with vibration and the upper work surface may try to walk around on the lower one with just clamps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to your new home Otto...
I believe you'll like it here and the brain trust is most impressive....
looking around the forum I got a similar knowledge impression as I do when reading the car forum I'm a member of.
but could you put a hold on the blood donations...
If you don't make a blood donation when working on cars you don't really work on cars. I've smacked my knuckles a few times as I'm sure we all do at but I haven't and don't expect anytime of real donation.

these pics are of a satellite shop that isn't much larger than your 12x12 shed..
wall selves were built and covered w/ sliding doors and the doors are used as wall space..
perhaps this idea will help gain you some space...
As soon as I can sell one of my "toys" in the garage I'll be able to move some stuff out of the shed which should give me more elbow room. When my then fiancee moved in (we married last Aug) I had car parts in one of my rooms and tools in another >:), when everything was going to need to move into the garage I planned and built the shed.

The satellite shop pictures look pretty good. Nice space savings on the walls with storage, narrow shelves seam to help a lot.

as for questions...
ask... we thrive on questions....

the deck expansion...
consider covering it w/ some kind of roof...
glue ups and finishing often don't do as well in the sun as they do in the shade...
working in the shade will be easier on you...
not to mention a surprise shower may cut you short and set you back...
direct sunlight will rapidly alter the wood you are working on...
I didn't know or wouldn't have thought the sun might change the gluing process. I'll have to keep that in mind. If the bed frame doesn't come out as I wish I already plan on using the parts in the shed to help organize the space. The shed took longer to build then I would have liked, lots of learning through the process, when I was done I hardly moved stuff into it before the wedding and after the honeymoon it was starting to get to cold out to want to play around in an unheated shed. So I installed new wood flooring in the house, I still need to do the kitchen and master bathroom.

My area doesn't get much rain in the summer and if we do there tends to be enough lead time to adjust if needed. But a some type of shade would come in handy. I'll have to think about how to keep it appealing to the eye.

your projects...
if you start individual threads on each one you will get a way better level of help/advice/interest.....
I first thought about starting a thread in another location but wasn't sure what subsection to use. The workbench isn't really a router question more general woodworking, perhaps project plans would have been better, unless there is a "shop" section I missed.

examine this video closely...
I'm not seeing a video, am I missing something?

setting/locking tabs were used instead of clamps..
why not do the same???
Do you have an example?
as for your built base put it on really good locking caster....
cheap undersized caters will haunt you...
Only way to go specially for a work table/bench.

turn that built base into storage...
ie.. drawers/compartments and shelves...
My first thought was to make a full Paulk style bench, mount various tools to sheets of plywood with dowels that would stick into the bench and hold them in place while working. I was then going to store the tools under the bench when not being used. Then the idea combining a miter table, router table with the work table was born and I started over again.

I want to keep the unit as light as possible so I could easily move it around when needed but you're right I should use it for the smaller tools if nothing else. Drawers would look really nice but perhaps I should make something that allows me to pull them out if I want to move the table. Wooden baskets might do the trick. I'll take some measurements and see if I have to keep with one shelf or if I can swing a second shelf in there.

fit the width to your saw...
I was thinking about going 24" wide so it would maximize a sheet of plywood and fit the unit nicely against one side of the shed. I built the shed with a standard side door and two double french style doors it gives me an 8' opening, lots of light and the ability to park my kayak trailer in the shed or a car if I so chose.

I didn't like the cheap table saw stand that came with my saw. The saw is far to light specially with the cheap stand to cut anything halfway decent in size so I have been making all my cuts on the floor; I even used heavy objects to hold it in place when ripping the wood siding (16"x16') for the shed. Those were amazing long cuts on a cheap little saw. Attaching it to the table would help solve my struggles with it but it might also be nice to build a small stand for it that I can roll up to my current table design. Making it's own stand would allow me to use it on either facing and I could even make folding wings, oh I like that idea, a table saw with wings that also line up with my work table could give me a lot of flexibility.

If I can sell my dune buggy I can move the trailer into the garage along with some of the other things should give me a lot more room to play with.

Much to sleep on. I was hoping to dig into the table today but it rained here and I need to make the large plywood cuts outside :( Probably ended up better anyways, now that I have more things to think about.

Looks like I don't have any recent shed pictures. These are ones when I was almost done with it. As you can see the deck is next to the small door, I was debating how to build a ramp in the front but I think I'll just make another deck to wrap around into the existing one for now.

My plan is for the work bench to fit behind the door in the first picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome Otto. It looks like you are on the right track by building flexability into your work space.When you are dealing with a small space you either have to do that or severely limit what you do in it. It`s hard to say if you are doing anything that can be improved on because it depends a lot on what you intend to do with the space so just keep thinking about what you want to do and what you need to get that done. As far as clamping, clamps are good but it also helps to pin one work surface to another. Clamps can loosen with vibration and the upper work surface may try to walk around on the lower one with just clamps.
Thanks.

I was thinking about keeping the base and top flat but I should think about vibration. I could make a lip around the whole base that would allow the top sections to drop into it. That might solve my attachment dilemma. Time for a little more Sketchup.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Otto. It appears you are already getting some good advice. Plenty more here just ask and you will receive.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum Otto.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
If you don't make a blood donation when working on cars you don't really work on cars. I've smacked my knuckles a few times as I'm sure we all do at but I haven't and don't expect anytime of real donation.
banging knuckles is one thing...
tangling w/ sharp whirly things is a whole 'nother matter...
stick w/ the don't plan to attitude...

The satellite shop pictures look pretty good. Nice space savings on the walls with storage, narrow shelves seam to help a lot.
thanks...
just ideas you may be able to use...

I didn't know or wouldn't have thought the sun might change the gluing process. I'll have to keep that in mind.
The shed took longer to build then I would have liked, lots of learning through the process, when I was done I hardly moved stuff into it before the wedding and after the honeymoon it was starting to get to cold out to want to play around in an unheated shed.
oh the sun will raise havoc will just about all levels of most any project...
wood movement being the worst..
sweat droplets showing up in your finishes..
glue setting up early or the PVA glue plasticizing and getting joint creep/separations..
insulation and heat in your shed's future??

My area doesn't get much rain in the summer and if we do there tends to be enough lead time to adjust if needed. But a some type of shade would come in handy. I'll have to think about how to keep it appealing to the eye.
I believe you will do well...
FWIW...
nice lines on the shed and it appears to be well built...

I first thought about starting a thread in another location but wasn't sure what subsection to use. The workbench isn't really a router question more general woodworking, perhaps project plans would have been better, unless there is a "shop" section I missed.
pick what you think will fit the best...
if you miss.. no worries...
the moderators have been known to come to the rescue...

I'm not seeing a video, am I missing something?
Do you have an example?
Only way to go specially for a work table/bench.
OOOPS!!!
try these...

My first thought was to make a full Paulk style bench, mount various tools to sheets of plywood with dowels that would stick into the bench and hold them in place while working. I was then going to store the tools under the bench when not being used. Then the idea combining a miter table, router table with the work table was born and I started over again.
where have I heard that before...
make/add pull out outriggers to give you a larger surface when working larger materials...

I want to keep the unit as light as possible so I could easily move it around when needed but you're right I should use it for the smaller tools if nothing else. Drawers would look really nice but perhaps I should make something that allows me to pull them out if I want to move the table. Wooden baskets might do the trick. I'll take some measurements and see if I have to keep with one shelf or if I can swing a second shelf in there.
that goes w/o saying...
large casters will help out w/ that movement issue...
also engineering for strength w/ thinner lighter materials instead of the brute force approach will work in your favor..

I was thinking about going 24" wide so it would maximize a sheet of plywood and fit the unit nicely against one side of the shed. I built the shed with a standard side door and two double french style doors it gives me an 8' opening, lots of light and the ability to park my kayak trailer in the shed or a car if I so chose.
why do I get the impression you getting this shed to do multi-duties...
that's not a shed it's a sardine can...

I didn't like the cheap table saw stand that came with my saw. The saw is far to light specially with the cheap stand to cut anything halfway decent in size so I have been making all my cuts on the floor; I even used heavy objects to hold it in place when ripping the wood siding (16"x16') for the shed. Those were amazing long cuts on a cheap little saw. Attaching it to the table would help solve my struggles with it but it might also be nice to build a small stand for it that I can roll up to my current table design. Making it's own stand would allow me to use it on either facing and I could even make folding wings, oh I like that idea, a table saw with wings that also line up with my work table could give me a lot of flexibility.
is there a Bosch 4100 in your future???

Much to sleep on. I was hoping to dig into the table today but it rained here and I need to make the large plywood cuts outside :( Probably ended up better anyways, now that I have more things to think about.
sleeping on it is a good thing unless your name is Van Winkle..

Looks like I don't have any recent shed pictures. These are ones when I was almost done with it. As you can see the deck is next to the small door, I was debating how to build a ramp in the front but I think I'll just make another deck to wrap around into the existing one for now.
More deck = good things...

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Have a neighbor who starts with a small shed, builds out a deck, covers it and then walls it in, then another deck, roof and walls. He does this to avoid going through the permitting process since each is technically a separate shed. By the way, welcome.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Welcome to the forum . I have nothing to add , but your in good hands

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Otto; welcome!
My only thought, on first read is that you're going to HATE that closed in work bench base. Woodworking = lots of sawdust/chips/scrap/ dropped parts.
No practical easy way to keep that stuff out of the base area or clean it up. Anything that prevents regular unobstructed sweeping is a p.i.t.a. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome, Otto; you are already well into it. There are lots of ways further in, but very few ways out !

Rog

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not planning on insulating the shed at the moment. Right now the plan is to move in a few years, somewhere I can build a bigger work space or regain indoor space.

I believe you will do well...
FWIW...
nice lines on the shed and it appears to be well built...
Thanks.
I think it came out pretty good myself it's nicely square and solid. There is only a few things I wish I would have done differently, but that's normal for a learning project.

pick what you think will fit the best...
if you miss.. no worries...
the moderators have been known to come to the rescue...
I probably should have. I still need to cruise the full forum to gather the lay of the land.

OOOPS!!!
try these... (Ron Paulk bench videos build)
Ah yes I see. I watched the table build videos a few times, it's what pushed me to build the bench but I didn't pay attention to what he called called the setup he made to connect the two tables.

where have I heard that before...
make/add pull out outriggers to give you a larger surface when working larger materials...

that goes w/o saying...
large casters will help out w/ that movement issue...
also engineering for strength w/ thinner lighter materials instead of the brute force approach will work in your favor..
Strength verses brute mass. This seams like the workbench conundrum out there. Manual tools and large objects need a table with more mass but power tools and flexibility of work space dictate a lighter more portable table. I was hoping to combine the two with my table.... Pondering....

why do I get the impression you getting this shed to do multi-duties...
that's not a shed it's a sardine can...
When I first started building the shed my plan was to use it more as a usable storage space, I didn't have any real plan to use it as a shop. My main goal was to reclaim the spare rooms in the house.

However the more I built the more I enjoyed the process, it woke up something in me.

is there a Bosch 4100 in your future???
Possible. I read another thread where you recommended the saw with a link to a store. I read up on the saw and they even have a 15% discount this weekend on new units that brings it inline with the refurbished saw. Very tempting, but I think it maybe smarter for me to work with what I have and upgrade when I have more skill and knowledge at that time I may want a hybrid saw with a larger cast iron table.

Anyone know how common sales are on these units?

More deck = good things...
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a neighbor who starts with a small shed, builds out a deck, covers it and then walls it in, then another deck, roof and walls. He does this to avoid going through the permitting process since each is technically a separate shed. By the way, welcome.
Most states have a 120 sq' cutoff for permits, Idaho is set at 200 sq'. Had I known I was going to turn it into a work space I would have built it bigger, but like your neighbor I am planning on some small sheds where I can store things like the BBQ without being in my way.

Hey, Otto; welcome!
My only thought, on first read is that you're going to HATE that closed in work bench base. Woodworking = lots of sawdust/chips/scrap/ dropped parts.
No practical easy way to keep that stuff out of the base area or clean it up. Anything that prevents regular unobstructed sweeping is a p.i.t.a. Just sayin'...
I think you're right. I was going to build the lower braces 4" above the ground but at the last moment changed it so I can gain more storage space below the table. I was hoping the table saw would fit on a shelf below the table but I probably should scrap that and use the space for smaller objects so I can access the area in case I drop a drill bit or something (not that any of us ever do that;))

·
Registered
462 Posts
Otto, formerly from Idaho, and now a Utahan and Arizonian, I think you are on the right path. It seem like you can ask here for advise on anything, not just wood projects and I mean anything. What I have found is, someone on here knows something about what ever you may ask. All seem willing to help.
Guessing from your intro, I would think you may be close to the Twin Area. I came from South East Area of Idaho. So I know some of what the weather can be like.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hello Router forum members.

I'm new into woodworking I'm looking to donate some blood, sweat and lots of time acquiring far too many splinters while learning a lot and hopefully coming out with some good builds.

I've been reading the forum here and there but thought I might post my introduction and perhaps ask a question or two at the same time.

I listed my most tools on my profile and my "shop" is a 12x12 shed I built last summer. Sadly that means space isn't abundant though I think I will expand the surrounding deck so I can work outside when the weather is nice.

I'm currently working on two projects.

1st one is a basic platform bed frame modeled after the Ikea bookshelf bed frame hack, not much more than some 3/4" 12" deep plywood made into shelves that I will use as an outer edge support with some 2x4 inner supports connecting the grouping.

2nd project is a workbench/station. I'm not as young and nimble as I once was and working on the ground is getting harder to get up from. I like the idea of the Paulk bench and it's ability to be moved around that way I can pull it out of the shed when the weather allows giving me more workable space. The standard Paulk bench is too big for my spacing and I view it more as a work station then a bench. Then I found Sketchup and think I can blend a few things into a station I can use and work with.

I'm planning on securing the sections with clamps so I can move them individually in case I need/want to move it outside or switch which side the saw goes on. Given my space I don't know if I'm going to attach my table saw to it, might be too narrow for proper supports.

So my questions:

What do you think of the bench set up? First impressions.

Anything I'm not seeing that might be a problem or something I should add? Perhaps make the router section to stack directly on the stand and not on the miter platform?

What clamping method would that can still allow it to be reversed if needed? My fist impression was just to use 6" wood bar clamps. But from what I've read on the forum I'm betting someone will have a better idea.

I just thought of this... If I build the work section in two pieces I can slit them and place the saw/router in middle. Hmmm, that might work real well.

Anyone happen to be on the miata.net forum?

Otto W
SW Boise Idaho, USA
Hi Otto. Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to hang out and you can get a lot of help from these folks.
I have a similar problem as you with my shop. Because of the HOA restrictions I couldn't go any larger than 8x10 so you have to use your space very wisely. I added a deck to give me some work space and then I looked for a way to get some cover and shade without putting a roof over the deck which I couldn't get past the HOS. I buried a couple of pieces of threaded galvanized pipe about a foot beyond the outer corners of the deck and left them sticking up about 6-7 inches, high enough to where I couldn't run over them with a lawn mower. I bought a Sun Shade on Amazon for about $30 that was large enough for my needs, attached two corners to either end of the shed, and the other two corners to a couple of pieces of galvanized pipe that I fitted with a screw eyes, slip the pipes into the pipes buried in the ground and I very quickly and cheaply (about $50 total) have a nice shaded area to work in. It does not provide protection from the rain but provides great protection from the sun...they claim the fabric will shield about 85% of the UV rays and it lowers the temp a good 10 degrees or more in the shade. When I take it down I thread caps on the ends of the pipe protruding from the ground.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post

I'm not planning on insulating the shed at the moment. Right now the plan is to move in a few years, somewhere I can build a bigger work space or regain indoor space.

When you get to insulating the shed, talk with "The Cable Guy". That word really gets him going. He has insulation in his blood!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Otto. Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to hang out and you can get a lot of help from these folks.
I have a similar problem as you with my shop. Because of the HOA restrictions I couldn't go any larger than 8x10 so you have to use your space very wisely. I added a deck to give me some work space and then I looked for a way to get some cover and shade without putting a roof over the deck which I couldn't get past the HOS. I buried a couple of pieces of threaded galvanized pipe about a foot beyond the outer corners of the deck and left them sticking up about 6-7 inches, high enough to where I couldn't run over them with a lawn mower. I bought a Sun Shade on Amazon for about $30 that was large enough for my needs, attached two corners to either end of the shed, and the other two corners to a couple of pieces of galvanized pipe that I fitted with a screw eyes, slip the pipes into the pipes buried in the ground and I very quickly and cheaply (about $50 total) have a nice shaded area to work in. It does not provide protection from the rain but provides great protection from the sun...they claim the fabric will shield about 85% of the UV rays and it lowers the temp a good 10 degrees or more in the shade. When I take it down I thread caps on the ends of the pipe protruding from the ground.
Sounds like a good idea. I have a little more flexibility with my HOA but I do like your solution, I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post

When you get to insulating the shed, talk with "The Cable Guy". That word really gets him going. He has insulation in his blood!
Good to know should I need some future advice. If my woodworking takes I'll either buy a place with an indoor area or I'll build with my outcome in the planning stage instead of just building a basic 12x12.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts