Router Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,901 Posts
In fact, it is exactly an inch . . . . do you think that's going to be an issue? :unsure:
It may be an issue if the top is only 1" of chipboard.

This may not take the weight of a router very long to make it sag.

Most tables are 1 3/8 - 1 1/2" of baltic birch ply or mdf..:)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
In fact, it is exactly an inch . . . . do you think that's going to be an issue? :unsure:
Since you likely are going to get the Craftman router, just leave the base attached and remove the motor to eliminate any possibility of sag.

I use only 3/4" MDF and have experienced no sag with my 2 1/4 HP Triton.
Since MDF is cheap, I'll just get another piece if it does.

The only issue I've had with 3/4" is sometimes the bit can't get enough height but I think it will be OK for you. I've had plenty of height for any drum shell edges.

Tom, it's a hobby; just go with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm not entirely certain of what material the desk is constructed, but the top of the desk is very strong/sturdy - so I honestly do not foresee an issue with sag.
In fact, I've stood atop the desk many times with absolutely no give or bend whatsoever.

I think I'm in good shape with this - and that this "already had it" desk is going to make for a great router table (for what I'll be doing) ...
not to mention will save me both time and money in terms of either building or purchasing a router table.

:)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Tom, while the desk may not be the ideal set up it should work fine for now. Worst case down the road a bit you will switch to a different table.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bought this same router because of my budget and can tell bang for buck it is a very good router for a beginner they did a good job on this one.I also have a makita which i havent touched since i purchased this one.installed the fixed mount in my table and used the plunge mount constantly.very comfortable in the hands .
Tdog

·
Registered
29 Posts
Watch Craigslist there are many options available. I personally bought 2 different store bought tables which I resold. Then I researched and researched some more and finally built a torsion box type table with a simple home made fence. One forum guy said he was on his third home made table (Norm Abam of Public TV has plans for a real nice setup) and finally you don't need an expensive store bought fence.

·
Registered
141 Posts
received an early xmas gift from my bride yesterday, the Grizzly "President's Special" router table. It was $117 delivered, unbelieveable bang for the buck, nice sturdy fence, thick top, guard, vac attachment, t-tracks, steel stand...highly recommend this table, I doubt I could have built one for the quality and price of this piece, a great value from Grizzly.

T10432 Router Table with Stand

Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Okay so I have the following (so far) . . .

- My Craftsman 12.0 Amp Fixed Based Router (model 320-2768)
- My DeWalt DWD110K Drill
- My (soon to be) desk-turned-Router Table
- A very nice set of drill and driver bits (extra Christmas gift from my fiancee')

Because my router will be primarily (if not exclusively) mounted under the table, I am thinking of installing a power switch to my desk/table - you know, like a light switch or button or something - so that I can power up my router via the switch without having to go underneath to do it. Does anyone know of any online resources for information as to how to do this? I can't imagine it's terribly difficult - but, you know me, I like to see some information in it (preferably video or info w/ images) if at all possible.

Thanks - and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Okay so I have the following (so far) . . .

- My Craftsman 12.0 Amp Fixed Based Router (model 320-2768)
- My DeWalt DWD110K Drill
- My (soon to be) desk-turned-Router Table
- A very nice set of drill and driver bits (extra Christmas gift from my fiancee')

Because my router will be primarily (if not exclusively) mounted under the table, I am thinking of installing a power switch to my desk/table - you know, like a light switch or button or something - so that I can power up my router via the switch without having to go underneath to do it. Does anyone know of any online resources for information as to how to do this? I can't imagine it's terribly difficult - but, you know me, I like to see some information in it (preferably video or info w/ images) if at all possible. (I'm going to post this on the Router Forum as well).

Thanks - and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
I learned basic wiring in the 7th grade. Electricity taught by Mr. Albright.
They will tell you how to wire it at Home Depot or ACE Hardware.
They can sell you everything you need.

But don't let that stop you. Just plug it in using an extension cord for now.
I repeat: DON'T stop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I learned basic wiring in the 7th grade. Electricity taught by Mr. Albright.
They will tell you how to wire it at Home Depot or ACE Hardware.
They can sell you everything you need.
Heh ... Unfortunately, I went to a Catholic/Carmelite based all-boys High School - and there was no wood/mechanic shop.
(We didn't even have a marching band - as I would have most definitely been on the drumline) ... though we did have a championship football team my senior year
(which I was proudly on).

rwl7532 said:
But don't let that stop you. Just plug it in using an extension cord for now.
I repeat: DON'T stop.
Not to worry, my friend ... not going to let this little element stop me. I'm just thinking it would be a nifty additional element to the whole thing - and I was thinking/hoping that it might be as simple a case (these days) of an extension cord plugging into a switch/switchbox of some sort. If it involves some kind of specilized wiring (for which I have no practical training whatsoever), then I may just nix this whole idea - as it is not imperative to my overall project plans.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
An email came back when I ordered something today.
It said "you're on the woodworking roller coaster. Welcome aboard."

I replied: "I hear there is no cure!!"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
An email came back when I ordered something today.
It said "you're on the woodworking roller coaster. Welcome aboard."

I replied: "I hear there is no cure!!"
I actually kind of hope I stay on the "kiddie coaster" with this, my first venture into the world of woodworking . . .
because if I get hooked, then there goes another chunk of my paycheck for tools, supplies, projects, etc. :dance3:

In fact, I just picked up one more of those modular shelving units (the exact one you have for your makeshift router table, Ralph).
We now have four of them - but this one is solely dedicated for ME and my DIY Drummaking ... i.e. shells, tools, etc. :D

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hardly "makeshift". pfft.
Described as "genius" elsewhere.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts