Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Mach 4 on an Avid pro series. When using a roughing toolpath, I set the origin with the touchplate and all is well. When it finishes the roughing, I simply change out the bit to the finishing bit, touch the Z axis (because the X and Y should be the same) and go on. It has worked fine, but I had to stop Mach 4 by hitting the stop button on the screen in Mach 4 (not the emergency kill switch). I made the correction (forgot to put the dust shoe on, and restarted the toolpath.

It started 1/2 to 3/4 off on the x axis ruining the piece. Should I recenter the x and y each and every time I change bits? It's hard to recenter the x and y using the touch plate with a tapered ball nose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm running Mach 4 on an Avid pro series. When using a roughing toolpath, I set the origin with the touchplate and all is well. When it finishes the roughing, I simply change out the bit to the finishing bit, touch the Z axis (because the X and Y should be the same) and go on. It has worked fine, but I had to stop Mach 4 by hitting the stop button on the screen in Mach 4 (not the emergency kill switch). I made the correction (forgot to put the dust shoe on, and restarted the toolpath.

It started 1/2 to 3/4 off on the x axis ruining the piece. Should I recenter the x and y each and every time I change bits? It's hard to recenter the x and y using the touch plate with a tapered ball nose.
OKAY! Let's read the instruction manual! It says that if I hit the stop button, it is the same as hitting the emergency stop and I have to re-home the machine and reset the project. It is sometimes helpful to read the instructions!!

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,264 Posts
Hitting the E-stop is quite a shock to the system and you'll need to rehome the machine. It should not have lost where your XY datum point is, though. If I need to stop and it's not an emergency I use Feed Hold and that's a softer 'stop' than the immediate E-stop.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.