Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a small CNC miller, but have no experience of them at all - although I do have experience of machine tools in general.

What I want it for is milling carbon fibre sheet for quadcopter parts - just for myself, not professionally. The one that gets talked about a lot is the Sainsmart 3018 Pro or Prover, it is big enough for my needs.

If anyone can help, my questions are these:
1. Seems the only significant difference between the two is the offline controller (useful, do not want direct PC connection). I am not bothered about endstops (I'll be careful), or side plates, nor about the time to assemble Pro vs Prover. Is there any point therefore in spending extra on the Prover, as opposed to Pro plus offline controller (which appears cheaper)?
2. Is it up to carbon fibre sheet as it comes? (Was thinking of 1.8mm endmills). I read the 10,000rpm motor might be too slow, but there is a 20,000rpm replacement - but that has power issues, might need bigger PSU, and still could burn out mainboard driver due to ramp up current, though there is a gcode means of slowing ramp up. On the other hand, I don't care if it is slow, so can I just use very slow feedrates with a 10,000rpm motor and get the same results in the end?
3. Is the Z assembly stiff enough, or is the alloy upgrade a necessity?
4. Am I really expecting too much of an entry level machine? (A bigger one would be too expensive and kill the project stone dead).

(I am aware of the need to be very careful of carbon fibre dust).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.