Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this is a cnc routing forum but maybe this is an interchangeable question.

I just picked up a cheapie cnc laser engraver on Amazon (around $300) and have been playing around with it. Is there a good software program you can recommend? I find that the included software leaves a lot to be desired. A fellow member at the woodworkingtalk forum recommended I pick your brains over here for better success!

Keep in mind I'm just doing very hobbyist simple things like photo repros and script and such. No production line stuff or selling products. Now I have been checking out cnc router rigs as I totally think they're cool but I'm just not sure that I'm in that deep yet lol.

Anyways, let'em fly!

Thanks in advance~

Mike

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello Mike welcome to the router forums.
Ok Mike Got it straight now

Reactions: trampis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you wanting CAD/CAM software, Mike? I assume the controller software that drives the laser is adequate for the machine you bought.

David
Well, the controller software is kind of lame too. But I'm not sure what can be done about that. Basically anything else I can try would be cool. Just to see what else is out there. Either with the controller software of the CAD/CAM software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you trying to design stuff to engrave?
Mostly I'm just uploading pics or simple 1 dimensional drawings, sketches, etc. I haven't tried to design anything yet.

I've heard that Corel Draw is really good but maybe that's too much for me to start with since I basically don't know what I'm doing lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Typically lasers use a windows printer driver. And I think you'll find Corel draw is the most widely used design software with laser users.

This is a great forum but check out cnczone forums there are a couple dedicated laser cutter sub forums

Good luck

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi All,

I know this is a cnc routing forum but maybe this is an interchangeable question.

I just picked up a cheapie cnc laser engraver on Amazon (around $300) and have been playing around with it. Is there a good software program you can recommend? I find that the included software leaves a lot to be desired. A fellow member at the woodworkingtalk forum recommended I pick your brains over here for better success!

Keep in mind I'm just doing very hobbyist simple things like photo repros and script and such. No production line stuff or selling products. Now I have been checking out cnc router rigs as I totally think they're cool but I'm just not sure that I'm in that deep yet lol.

Anyways, let'em fly!

Thanks in advance~

Mike
Check out Lightburn. I am using it with a 7W diode JTech laser, but can be used with many other types as well. I am a new laser owner as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Check out a program called T2 Laser. You can download a trial version. Then, head over to You Tube and search for "I've Downloaded T2 now what?" I use it in conjunction with Inkscape.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
I don't have a laser but I regularly use CorelDraw X8 and Fusion 360 - both great programs. The laser shop I do woodworking for uses CorelDraw, as well, to print to their three Epilog lasers.

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best and inexpensive software that I have found is Light Burn, it can be run on Mac and PC. You can drag and drop picks and rasterize them within the program. They have excelent videos for training. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, thanks all. I think I'll look into both the Light Burn and CorelDraw. Although I think I remember seeing that CorelDraw is pretty pricey.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend and I have a laser engraver and we use Corel Draw to do the artwork (vector and raster ). You can also use Adobe Illustrator but it's subscription based and for us it would have been the more expensive route. You might also want to check out GIMP. It's free/open source and is a great alternative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.