Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please please help. I’m going nuts trying to get a Kobalt router table to do a nice simple uniform rabbet 1/2 x 1/4. The bit will not stay in place. Up, down, everywhere. Wondering if I should give up and buy a Kreg.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry,
Brother i know where your at ....me and many on here have been there.
If you can't get your router or table to stabilize during a simple cut it may be time for a change only if you can afford it of course LOL !
you mentioned kreg i purchased the kreg router table with the kreg insert for a Triton TRA001(it comes predrilled for this router) for me to adjust the depth from above the table is invaluable to me,it works like a router lift therefore you dont have to worry bout what lift to buy if this is the route you want to go. doing what i have done with this way will save you several hundred dollars and you will love it.
Good Luck and God Bless !

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry. I am not sure why the bit would be moving. Is everything tightened properly. Is the bit pulling out of the collet? Is the router properly secured in your table. Could you send some photos of your set up and the showing the operation you are trying to perform.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Welcome Terry. Like Roxanne said some more info is needed as well as maybe some advice. What router and how is it attached? Pictures will help a good deal here. What the picture will show hopefully is what router and type is mounted as well as how it's mounted. Don't be shy with pictures.

Also, just in case you don't know make sure you're making shallow passes. Make multiple shallow passes raising the router no more then 1/3 to 1/2 of the cut and make sure you're running full speed. If the bit is burning the wood it could be from going too slow as in moving the wood itself or it's a dull bit.

But make sure everything is securely mounted and stable before trying any cuts. Can the router move up and down by hand pressure? Is the fence secured well?

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Good advice, especially making shallow passes. I never take off more than 1/8th inch or so at a time.

When inserting the bit, you don't want it to bottom out in the collet. My method is to drop a half inch GROMMET (not an O ring) and let the bit rest on that. Don't press it down. This will give you enough grip and absorb any vibration that might move the bit. Grommets are very precise devices. The difference between tight and loose a matter of a few thousandths of an inch. So tightening is very important, but excessive tightening can destroy the collet. Here's a picture of a collet's parts, you can see how the collet is made and how the nut drives it down into the spindle, tightening the fingers on the collet.

Good point on checking the fence. And is the top of the mounting plate perfectly level with the top of the table? Run the end of a ruler across the plate. If it grabs at any point, it's not really level.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,027 Posts
Just one more thought, are you sure that the bits are the same as the chuck is intended for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts