Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone new member from the U.K.

I have just purchased a raised door panel router bit set GW1301 Perform.
Does any member have any advice or working instructions re this 3 cutter on shank tool.
No written instructions came with the tool or any info from suppliers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A little more info would be helpful.
This type of bit should only be used in a table....do you have a table.
What is the hp rating of your router.
did you just get the panel cutter or was it a three bit set, panel cutter, plus rail and stile bits.

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Making raised panels are usually very easy 1) make the cope cut, 2) make the bead cut and then 3) make the panel cut. You need to be table mounted and have a good fence system.

Last comment: Doing the raised panel process requires a bit of skill and shouldn't be your first project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
English terms.
cut the stile. use a sacrificial stock to prevent tear out on the end grain.
cut the rail (bead). you may need bit of patience to match the cutting heights for the rail and stile to line up.
cut the panel. Small cuts only.
All this needs to be done on a router table. recommend a minium of 1800 watt.
mind your fingers. Turn thumbs in towards palms.
Make sure you have guards to cover rotating cutters.
Alternatively try the trend site. They have excellent manuals on the use of all their cutters. www.trendmachinery.co.uk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most of us Brits know the different words used.
i.e dado = housing or trenching
rabbett = rebate etc. :p
To quote Winston Churchill. Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language. :D

When raising the panel always start with the end grain cut 1st so you finish cutting with the grain.
Any tearout will happen when cutting end grain so the cut with the grain will clean it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My panel raising problem

I retreated from using the panel raising kit that I purchased, I returned the goods to the retailer taking up the 7 day returns mail order offer.

The reason for the return was that the panel cutter was over 3" diameter, and my table aperture did not have enough clearance.
I did not fancy building up a sub table because I would have needed a collet extension and I just couldn't face the idea of a 3" chunk of metal spinning at the end of a made up shaft etc.

I did M/T joints on rails and stiles and successfully placed a 7x8mm beading on the door panel using my router to make the beadings.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I finally do some raised panels I will be going for the vertical cutter as opposed to the horizontal one ... I am the same with the idea of that amount of spinning metal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.