Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow wood crafters!
Ok, well maybe I am not a crafter just yet as I am just getting my wood working shop built up in my two car garage. The space is limited as it doubles for storage on the shelves I built along the back wall, has a full sized side by side refrigerator/freezer, a chest freezer, gardening tools and yard equipment. But it has a side shop area as well for bench tools and such. I have recently purchased a Rigid TS3660 table saw (I will be happy to give anyone my non professional opinion about it if asked) at Christmas, a Rigid oscillating spindle sander, a Leigh D4 (not D4R) dovetail jig, a Senco a/c powered screw gun, a Rigid palm nailer, and my two most recent purchases which brought me here, a Bosch 1617EVSPK router combo set and a Freud RTS5000 router table. My next purchase will be a band saw or dust collection system then plate jointer, though the plate jointer may be able to wait as I understand you can use a router table as a jointer. So here is my opinion on the Freud RTS5000 router table so far, as it is why I found this site. On assembly of the table stand, I noticed the instructions say to assemble with “included” carriage bolts, nut and lock washer. The “lock” washers were regular washers and I am sure will begin to loosen the joints before long and need to be replaced. The carriage bolts were Phillips pan head screws. The next issue is with the table insert leveling screws, they would not allow the insert to go down far enough to be flush with the table. This I will have fixed as I found a phone number on this site to their customer service and they said it was shipped with the wrong screws and would send me replacements. The last issue is the lack of support for any other router brand other than Freud. The insert plate is nice, but there are no holes or templates included for drilling mount holes for other routers. Not even a hint, web link, nothing, nada. Well being the newbie I am, I researched online and thought I could do it easy enough. Well I am pretty sure I did it wrong. My holes did not line up quite right and I had to wallow out two of them slightly, then on attaching my router I noticed it was a hair off center to the hole. I would appreciate any and all advice and comments on this predicament. I am sure I will be back for advice and research in the near future. Oh yeah, and I had to type this in Word and copy/paste because of the time out feature on this web site (hint, hint)
Thank you for the help so far.
shawnrcraig

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello and welcome! One thing that might help you is this, Check the plate that should be attached to the router. It is used to help the router slide easier. If you remove it, you can drill the holes perfectly including the bit opening. Make a circle of the hole on a piece of paper. (the router) and the hole size of the plate. line them up, by the holes of the compass pin hole. Then you can re drill the holes. You can take the paper and line the plate hole and paper hole to center it perfectly Thank you for posting your name and where you are frm :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Shawn welcome to the forums.
Sounds like your setting up a sweet little shop there, and your opinions and posts are welcome. Love to see it when your done.
Rob

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Welcome Shawn to the router forum

Sounds that you get a pretty good shop on the making. Good luck with your router plate

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Shawn and welcome to the forum, good to have you on board

1 - 6 of 6 Posts