Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that if it had not been due to a link from Cutech, I probably wouldn't have hit upon the routerforums site!

I am a novice woodworker (and I use that term loosely!) who came into the game because of a neighbour wanting to dispose of Pine & Fir trees from his garden and I was wanting to burn as seasoned wood. Luckily, he both cut & delivered them without charge and some were around 12' lengths - far too good to just chop up into firewood.

I bought a chainsaw & mill and began learning how to mill, sticker & dry and ultimately use, the timber in a more rewarding & meaningful way and slowly began to accumulate the toys. As a retired male from England, now living in NY, money is a bit tight so bargain machines have been sought but most work has been done with a cordless drill & circular-saw and lately a Rockwell Table-saw.

There are limits to what I can achieve without undergoing exhaustive work and this leads me to the Cutech site as I have been pondering for ages, whether to buy a jointer/edger but have been reluctant to so do because of cost. Gaining a perfectly flat face and square edge I have come to appreciate, is very important when building things from wood! Similarly, I thought I had a need for a router and bought a Milwaukee unit but then understood the need for a table too and I am flummoxed as to which of the many options available, would prove the best value for money ... and so it continues!

Hopefully, I'll be able to glean more information now in order to make some sound purchases with which to improve my skill-level!:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You don't have to spend lots on a router table for it to be functional. I built one for my son this past summer out of repurposed materials for $5. Pictures of it are in my uploads as well as a link to the thread.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome Papa. I'm afraid you have stumbled onto something that could become an obsession. I've found it deeply satisfying on some primeval level to build something where you start with a log. Hope you find useful information here.

Reactions: Mike and PapaTango

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome aboard, Paul. There is a wealth of information here free for the asking. Some times we even have a little humor.

Reactions: PapaTango

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Paul. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

As others have stated, a router table is not rocket science. A flat board with a hole cut in it for the bit to come thru, and your router fastened to it, works very well for the budget conscience. A fence like Mike demo'd above, or a simple 2x4 with a straight edge clamped to the board/table will work for a fence.

Reactions: PapaTango

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes ... I suppose I should have explained a bit more thoroughly about the router-table by saying that at this early juncture, I didn't really want to be making my own tools as I'm struggling making things from scratch! I do take your points though.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Paul

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Happy you could join the fun. I admire someone who mills lumber. Quite a task. I'm with you on the buy vs make question. Jigs and such are things to be made, but I have more money than time at this point and I prefer to buy things like a router table.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Yes ... I suppose I should have explained a bit more thoroughly about the router-table by saying that at this early juncture, I didn't really want to be making my own tools as I'm struggling making things from scratch! I do take your points though.
I can appreciate that. I went to a wood show years ago and watched Dave Wooland, a very accomplished woodworker, make tenons on a table saw with a home made plywood jig that rode against the saw fence. And then I bought a Delta tenoning jig for $130. And then after I used it a few times I realized that Dave's home made jig worked as well as mine and was easier to use.

Making your own router table and the various jigs you need will help to improve your skills as much and probably more than the projects you want to build. I would encourage you to make as much as you can and save your cash for the things you can't make like router bits.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I can appreciate that. I went to a wood show years ago and watched Dave Wooland, a very accomplished woodworker, make tenons on a table saw with a home made plywood jig that rode against the saw fence. And then I bought a Delta tenoning jig for $130. And then after I used it a few times I realized that Dave's home made jig worked as well as mine and was easier to use.

Making your own router table and the various jigs you need will help to improve your skills as much and probably more than the projects you want to build. I would encourage you to make as much as you can and save your cash for the things you can't make like router bits.
Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with Chuck. Don't be intimidated and think that you can't make a usable tool. This is how you learn, by doing. A router table, jig, or whatever doesn't have to always look pretty...it just has to do the job. Functionality is what counts.

Build it, learn from the mistakes, see the improvements, and do it again. You build confidence, knowledge and skill each time you build or rebuild.

If you get stuck, just ask. There is always someone here that can walk you through the confusion.

Again, welcome.

Bill

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
so now you are calling it confusion...

Reactions: swarfmaker

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
G'day Paul, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone and encouragement to progress & learn as well as build. I'll attach pics as soon as I've figured out the process.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK ... here's the raw material; homemade hinges and shed using air-dried flat-sawn Pine for everything. Internal floor going in now. It's not perfect but using just Drill, circular & table-saw to build, I'm quite pleased the way it appears.

Now, when I get around to buying a Jointer, all boards will be flat & true!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
OK ... here's the raw material; homemade hinges and shed using air-dried flat-sawn Pine for everything. Internal floor going in now. It's not perfect but using just Drill, circular & table-saw to build, I'm quite pleased the way it appears.

Now, when I get around to buying a Jointer, all boards will be flat & true!
If you can build those hinges, Paul, you can build a simple router table. Don't tell me that you didn't have a trial and error period with those fitting together! You fit, fixed, and refit, I'm willing to bet. Just apply the same principles and you'll do fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts