Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people want to know about the nib on a hand saw. The term is used interchangeably with Notch. The notch is from a term from England and evolved to the term nib. The answer came from an unlikely source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.D._&_H.O._Wills

This company was one of the originators of ready made cigarettes, and included advertising and bits of information. This ad photo will explain. Mystery solved?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Over the years I've read probably a dozen or so different explanations regarding the "nib"...This was the very first time I've seen it's purpose described as part of the sales pitch.....I'd love to know were ole Mr. Wills got his insight from..

Excellent find Gary....thanks for the post. I'm gonna have to archive this one..

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the years I've read probably a dozen or so different explanations regarding the "nib"...This was the very first time I've seen it's purpose described as part of the sales pitch.....I'd love to know were ole Mr. Wills got his insight from..

Excellent find Gary....thanks for the post. I'm gonna have to archive this one..
After reading about it at wiki...It seems they were the first to pre make cigarettes, they were also the first it include advertising or tips with the packaging. I remember bubble gum wrappers did the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.