Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I turned one of the motors I acquired a couple weeks ago into a 9" disc sander. It's a 1/3 HP, 1710 RPM with a keyed 5/8" shaft.

I started by drawing a 9" circle on 3/4" plywood with a bow compass and rough cutting the blank with a jig saw. Then I drilled the center hole and rigged up a makeshift trammel on the router table so I could feed the blank into the bit. It came out just a hair under nine inches.

Then I mounted the plywood disc on an aluminum hub flange I ordered online with six #12 x 1" round head wood screws. I mounted the hub/disc and shaft key on the motor using a hair dryer as a heat gun to expand the flange. When it cooled it was nice and tight on the shaft.

I built a box on which to mount the motor assembly and attached another box that was the same height as the center of the motor shaft. That became the table/tool rest for the sander. I bored a 1-1/4" hole in the lower left end of the table box to attach my shop vac for dust collection.

I picked nine inches for a couple reasons: 1) because Harbor Freight has 80-grit 9" sticky-back sanding discs, 10 for $8.00, and 2) because I was afraid the 1/3 HP motor wouldn't turn anything much bigger in diameter.

The completed sander works very well and the dust collection is surprisingly efficient. It evacuates everything but a tiny pile of dust just under the end of the shop vac hose.

No pictures...once again I was going for functionality rather than looks and it is ugly. But it works.

(ADDED) Aww, what the heck! It ain't that ugly. In the bottom pic you can see the dust collection port.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Lots of uses for that from squaring the end of a board to sharpening tools.

Reactions: 163481

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just did almost the same set up but I used parts from a old craftsman Sander So I have a 1/2:hp 1725 rpm motor
With a ci 9" disc but was wondering what to do about the dust. So the photos you posted are a help to me.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I like the sawdust collector, looks easy to make. I have an old Foley Belsaw belt disc sander that has no dust collection provision and don't like to use it for that reason. The disc sander I think would be easy to modify as you did, but I'm lost on where to start with the belt sander.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but I'm lost on where to start with the belt sander.
Yeah, me too but this might help: The dust collection port of my sander is just below where the disc first enters an essentially sealed chamber. How you would do that with a belt I'd have to think about.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Pretty cool Chuck . I think it would have been neat to have flush mounted a piece of T-channel in the top for use with a miter gauge

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, never thought of that, Rick. I have a piece left over, too. But the table top is pretty small...only 4-5 inches to the disc...or maybe less.

·
Registered
267 Posts
chuck ~ I like it. But I have a few questions.

I mounted the hub/disc and shaft key on the motor using a hair dryer as a heat gun to expand the flange. When it cooled it was nice and tight on the shaft.
Does this mean that the hub/disc is intended to be permanently mounted? What if you wanted another disc with a different grit sand paper for a quick change?

Harbor Freight has 80-grit 9" sticky-back sanding discs
Is the HF disc a hook and loop arrangement?

How do you change out your disc? In other words, how do you remove the box to gain access to the disc?

Again, nice set up.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does this mean that the hub/disc is intended to be permanently mounted? What if you wanted another disc with a different grit sand paper for a quick change?
Yes, the hub/disc is permanently mounted but the abrasive disc is changeable.

Is the HF disc a hook and loop arrangement? How do you change out your disc? In other words, how do you remove the box to gain access to the disc?
The abrasive discs are sticky back. The table (top) of the box is removable by loosening three screws. That allows me to peel off the old disc and mount a new one. It's a bit tricky with only the top half of the disc exposed but doable.

I gave the front of the disc and the table top two light coats of poly for durability and to permit the relatively easy removal of the old discs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obrigado, Sid (that's one of the two or three words of Portuguese that I know. I picked it up thru contacting Brazilian amateur radio ops.)

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Necessity really is the mother of invention. A job well done.

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
Always nice to make something, rather than buy it. And, oh so often, the home built piece works better than the store bought. I've been thinking of something similar, except with a drill for power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my old 12" disc sander...not sure of the make or if it is a Frankenstein...but the patten is warped so I have to have a wood facing on it so it turns true...I also find that of course it sands faster towards the outside edge so you have to keep a keen eye out for accuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts