Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
As a complete beginner here on the forum, it is probably quite sensible and polite to present myself before I present my problem.

My name is Brynjulf and I am on the wrong side of the sixty. Or seen with my own eyes, I'm in just the right place in life. I have a different peace in life now than I have had before - do not have to perform for the environment to accept. Just need to enjoy myself with the best I like to do and spend the time just the way I want.

What spends most of my time is being a teacher at a high school in southern Norway that trains carpenters. Skedsmo upper secondary school. I have previously owned my own carpentry workshop, been a manager at one of Europe's largest furniture manufacturers, have been a teacher for a period and for 15 years had my own drawing office where I mainly used Autocad.

Being back in school again has been a bit frustrating, but I find out eventually. At first I was very frustrated with how old-fashioned everyone was teaching - with almost exclusively a focus on how everyone did it before.

One thing I thought was absolutely awful, our hearing how often the plunge router was talked down. The machine I have always loved most of all, and which could really make what I made shine. It was referred to by ignorant fools as a hobby tool - is there anyone in here who can agree with this ????

The war is over now, and everyone has understood how wrong they have been. I choose to believe. For no one is talking disparagingly about plunge the router anymore. I choose to believe.

I have also changed a lot along the way and the industrialist has become more of a craftsman over time. But I never have to plunge the router. This is still the funniest machine I use. It also gives me the most excitement when I try something new. There is always something new to invent. Circular jiggs, rounders, lathes and a three-axis CNC.

What I forgot to tell about my background is that I worked in a company that produced thimgs of all kinds of plastic materials. Acrylic became my favorite material there, and as this material could be processed in the same way as wood, this has become an important material to play with in retrospect. Many of the machines I build are based on PMMA (not Paramethoxymethamphetamine, but Polymethyl methacrylate, although the former could have given fun results !!!) - alone and together with wood in different forms.

I will come back with pictures and stuff as I find out about uploading at this forum, but can post a link to a video of a completely prelimanary adjustable rounding cutter without anything extra at all - including extraction. My oldest son (who is also a cabinet maker) is a guinea pig and you can see that the skepticism is great in the beginning. Eventually, when he sees that the jig does not fall apart, things go better. The father even got a lot of credit in retrospect. A star is born, I felt for a brief moment. Link:

And a link to the subsequent work on the furniture - timelapse. My son and myself are actors here:

Enough nonsense so far - I have a big wish for the time being:

I have an old router lying around, built like a German tiger tank, probably just as heavy - and certainly at least as old. In Elu MOF31. Too good to go in the trash. The plan is to turn it upside down and place it in a self-made table and use it as a stationary cutter.

The attachment to the motor is M12x1 and it is quite difficult to find a chuck that fits this system and can take 8 and 12 mm shafts as we use here in Europe at the same time.

DeWalt has been contacted and the same Trizeik that sold these on Amazon some time ago. But no one seems to be able to help. It looks like this: DEWALT Router Converter & NUT for ELU MOF11 & MOF31 (Allows Your Router to USE Normal Collet & Router BITS): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Andrew Nichol at Sautershop in Germany has been wonderfully helpful even though I have never bought a nut from them. He suggested that I contact this forum because there might be help to be found here ……

Is there anyone out there who has such a thing lying around without using it and could imagine both selling and sending it to Norway?

I have an old router lying around, built like a tiger tank, probably just as heavy - and certainly at least as old. In Elu MOF31. Too good to go in the trash. The plan is to turn it upside down and place it in a self-made table and use it as a stationary cutter.

The attachment to the motor is M12x1 and it is quite difficult to find a chuck that fits this system and can take 8 and 12 mm shafts at the same time.

DeWalt has been contacted and so has Trizeik who sold these on Amazon some time ago. But no one seems to be able to help.

Andrew Nichol at Sautershop in Germany has been wonderfully helpful even though I have never bought a nut from them. He suggested that I contact this forum because there might be help to be found here ……

Is there anyone out there who has such a thing lying around without using it and could imagine both selling and sending it to Norway?

Best regards from
Brynjulf

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums.
Here are a couple of links to try.

Reactions: roxanne562001

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input - really appreciate it.

First of all, you have to apologize to me that my English is not completely understandable sometimes. I often see it afterwards, when it's too late. But to save some time and not to make completely idiotic mistakes, I use Google translate anyway. It's okay to have something to blame if someone gets a good laugh.

Yes, I know that the Elu router is a shot in the blind, especially considering that it has a slightly too special chuck solution.

I have collected some tools over time, and have some machines I can use if I do not get anywhere with the old man. There are also ready-made lift devices for Festool and Triton that I could have used, but then some of the fun is gone along the way. The desire to build gets to decide.

Over the weekend, I have sent emails to those I have been tipped off about, and feel that I have come a long way.

Whether it's Elu or something else, I'll probably post the progress here.

When I start, I have to make a separate thread for this - is this how you do it here?

BB

·
Official Greeter
19,750 Posts
G'day, and welcome to the forum.

I understand that model router was considered the "Rolls Royce" of routers, some years ago...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you JW.
Yes, it's a damn good milling machine. But it lacks all the finesse that modern plunge routers have - soft start and fine adjustment mechanisms. And no brakes at all so one has to be patient. But it is built so that it is easy to get a raising / lowering device. And terribly heavy - hopefully this makes it stable and nice.

By the way, the chuck is ordered from the Netherlands, JVL Europe which could deliver within three to four days. Great company and nice contact person - very good service.

Product Text Font Line Cylinder

I get to create a new thread for that shows construction projects that have both been done and those that are on the way. Those of you who know the forum - where should I put this thread?

Otherwise, I hope most of you have a good day today. In Europe, we are following closely in the presidential election. For me, it's going to be another waking night tonight - this is this autumn's most exciting thriller that by a good margin it surpasses what Netflix can offer. Good luck everybody!

And thank you very much for your attention.

BB

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Thank you JW.
Yes, it's a damn good milling machine. But it lacks all the finesse that modern plunge routers have - soft start and fine adjustment mechanisms. And no brakes at all so one has to be patient. But it is built so that it is easy to get a raising / lowering device. And terribly heavy - hopefully this makes it stable and nice.

By the way, the chuck is ordered from the Netherlands, JVL Europe which could deliver within three to four days. Great company and nice contact person - very good service.

View attachment 396187

I get to create a new thread for that shows construction projects that have both been done and those that are on the way. Those of you who know the forum - where should I put this thread?

Otherwise, I hope most of you have a good day today. In Europe, we are following closely in the presidential election. For me, it's going to be another waking night tonight - this is this autumn's most exciting thriller that by a good margin it surpasses what Netflix can offer. Good luck everybody!

And thank you very much for your attention.

BB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.