Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
One guy in the reviews says he fried his. LOL Nah, I'll pass. If I wanted an electric bike I'd just cobble one together, for considerably less. But if I wanted a powered bike at all I'd get one of the little gas engine kits. If you to to the end of its range, it's a lot easier carrying a quart or two of gas then it is a quart of electricity. Costs less too. But I probably wouldn't buy a gas kit either, plenty easy to cobble a gas powered bike. However, if I were going to do it either way, I would either buy, or cobble, a trike, rather than just use a bike. Or, even better, a bike with a side car.

But if you want class too, then this is the only way to go.
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/275401725-mini-bike-plans-steam-bike

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I friend of mine bought two bikes with motors in the hub WELL below new price on Gumtree and they worked perfectly but needed pedal help to get started.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was just working on one of those a couple of weeks ago. It seems unnecessarily complex for the DIYer, and no matter how neat you are, having all that wiring tie-wrapped to the outside of your bike gets messy. And that package doesn't seem to include the battery (48V SLA I think) or charger.

I had little contact with the electronics, I was mostly concerned with getting the trike in rolling order again. Of the two I worked on, one had a broken on/off switch connection that didn't seem repairable so I bypassed it for testing.

The motor and related components seem durable, both the trikes I worked on had been sitting out in the So. Oregon weather for a couple of years.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.