Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made this simple sign for a friend; the Pine board is 36" x 10", cut on the CNC I built 4 years ago, and finished in Nitrocellulose sealer and lacquer, engravings accented with Mohawk VanDyke Brown glazing stain. You can see two short videos on making this on my Instagram channel.

David

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,031 Posts
Very nice David.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
The cut out is great,but I’m really amazed at how perfect and clean looking the text turned out . I guess experience and trial and error help.

when I seen you used pine , my first thought was it’s too soft of a wood . But you certainly pulled it off

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Rick! I really can't stand working with Pine because it sets my allergies off like crazy. As soon as I start cutting it my eyes begin watering, nose running, throat gets scratchy - can't stand the stuff. All those exotic woods that are supposed to cause skin and respiratory allergy issues don't bother me in the least, but Pine is my Kryptonite. o_O

Yes, it is soft but a good sharp bit at the proper feed rate and spindle speed cuts pretty cleanly. If it does leave some fuzzies all you have to do is run the toolpath again and it cleans them right up. Sometimes I lower Z by 0.001" for a subsequent pass just to make sure it cleans up the fuzzy parts (this sign didn't actually have any, though).

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts