Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the first thing I've done for a friend. It is a slab that I engraved on the CNC with a typical 60 deg vbit. Ultimately it will be a bench that is a wedding gift for a friend of my friend.

Really nothing special but let me tell you how nervous I was...really really really nervous...pucker factor was high as I thought about ruining his slab.
I did a number of test cuts on practice material and ran it in the air as well. The design took the longest...the cut took maybe 15m. Cleanup took a couple hours sanding and smoothing.
These pics were midway through the process. After examing the pictures I went back and sanded some more :)

My friend then took it elsewhere to get the legs and finish put on. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the final product.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Looks good to me, too, Dave! I know what you mean about pucker factor working on someone else's piece of wood. There's a large degree of 'tentative' and 'trepidation' involved.

David

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
That working on someone else's one of a kind piece of material does get nerve wracking. If you screw up making a "normal" piece and mess up, you just get another piece and go on your way. Only cost is some time and a piece of material. Customer doesn't know the difference.

But.........getting close to the end of a long cut and then messing up is no fun either. Good thing I learned all those words doing plumbing and electrical work.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Trial cuts in a scrap are the norm in my personal shop. The render engine in Vectric's software can verify to a client that you do or don't understand what they want, but what happens when a spinning bit hits wood is altogether another gamble. Vcarving success wants the wood planed flat, on a CNC bed planed flat, held firmly, a sharp bit, the right pass depth, bit RPM, feed speed, words spelled right, some good coffee (or hot chocolate), hearing protection, the dust collection and air cleaner running, and fingers crossed.

It is a miracle that somehow we succeed, and most of the time. That and talent. ;)

Well done!
4D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.