Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next time cutting aluminum w/ a mister.

DO NOT place a nice sheet of Mahogany plywood on the table w/o changing it.

All the jobs cut recently were imprinted in oil on a 4x8, yes, the whole sheet.
It's the dopey things you forget when bizzie, ya just plum pass it up not realizing.

Forgot where I seen it but someone uses a 1/4" sheet of mdf/ldf? over the spoilboard top.
That'll prolly work being we cut alum & acrylic all day. Oil doesnt affect acrylic.

Oh well.. live n' learn.

·
Registered
Rick
17,588 Posts
That’s an unfortunate mistake but a good topic .
I’ve often wondered what would be the best way to protect the spoil board, or just change it when cutting oil is involved?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've only done aluminum 4 times so far but I don't use a spoil board or a mister. I "Kind of" protect the bed surroundings and I used a WD40 spray bottle. Still messy but it works for me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only done aluminum 4 times so far but I don't use a spoil board or a mister. I "Kind of" protect the bed surroundings and I used a WD40 spray bottle. Still messy but it works for me.
Lol... chuck in a 3/8" O flute and dig into 1" aluminum and tell me about a "mess"
let alone gettin stung by the chip bees if ya get in the way.

WD40 = stinkie. Cant stand that smell, as bad as Glad bags w/ febreze in it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...other stuff like PB smells bad to me.
That wouldn't be Peanut Butter would it?? Seriously now,
2~3 PBJ's and a jug of milk sounds good, with crusts.

Sorry to hear of this Herb... one good thing is ya dont
get alum chips on ya shoes to bring home. No MDF either.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
My metalworking shop and my woodworking shop have always been completely separate with the metalworking being done in the garage and the woodworking in the basement, but now in a separate shop building. I learned to keep oils and metal chips away from good wood a very long time ago. Now my metalworking is across town since I gave almost all of my metal working tools to my son. He is a certified welder and works mostly in metal, so it seemed best to just give him the bulk of my metal working tools. I just go across town to use my metal working tools now, but can now use his tools now too.

Charley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.