·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
When I saw the tank still photos and hear the 1812, I just knew what was coming. That was entertaining. Sad that 2 of our tank soldiers died a few weeks ago while training to fire one of our challenger tanks. MOD inquiry ongoing, but, judging by the recoil into the tank, I'd guess they may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
In my days in the Hi-Fi industry many a sale was completed after demonstrating the system with the 1812 overture. I must add that many a loudspeaker was blown apart by music lovers who enjoyed LOUD music, especially when playing the 1812!

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
At one time i lived a quarter mile from the Richard Nixon library. When he died they did a 21 gun salute with Howitzers, then a fly-over by Marine fighter jets. The windows rattled and you could feel some of the percussion. Happily, that is my only experience of cannon fire, and it was impressive.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was at Ft Hood used to love going out and watching tanks and howitzers shooting. The howitzer rounds looked like large watermelons flying. A new 2LT decided he was going to strike a manly poes under the end of a tank barrel when it fired. The crew told him not to do it, but he was an OFFICER, which automatically made him more intelligent than any mere enlisted man. He was out cold for about 15 minutes from the muzzle blast when it fired. A lot of people found that very funny, including me.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I only listen to classical music.... period. I got into the habit when studying in seminary. I have never been able to understand why people think music has to be loud to be good. Case in point- our church now plays music so loud that I wear earplugs during the service for music. I can even hear the sermon with the earplugs! I do have a collection of cassette tapes (shows how old they are) and CDs of several genre but still prefer the classical. Like the old R&R as it takes me back to the good ol' days.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only listen to classical music.... period. I got into the habit when studying in seminary. I have never been able to understand why people think music has to be loud to be good. Case in point- our church now plays music so loud that I wear earplugs during the service for music. I can even hear the sermon with the earplugs! I do have a collection of cassette tapes (shows how old they are) and CDs of several genre but still prefer the classical. Like the old R&R as it takes me back to the good ol' days.
Started listening to classical music when I was really young - after all, that was the music in cartoons. LOL But was 13 when I started listening to it on the radio. Still listen, it's what my vehicle radio is tuned to. Grew up with 40s, 50s, 60s, rock & roll, and thanks to the web, can still listen when I want. Into some blues too. But mostly classical, and some of it just begs to be turned up, like 1812 Overture, and Ride of the Valkeries. Otherwise, mostly low key. And then there's always Elmer Fudd singing I Killed The Wabbet. LMAO :laugh2:

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
JOT, that composition was on our local classical station not too long ago. There is a segment called The Score where composers and music that are used in movies are highlighted. Very interesting.

Highbrow- A person who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh my! I never knew I was a highbrow?!?! I also like the 1812 and used to watch the Lone Ranger when I was a kid...but never think of him when I hear it.

Was an interesting experience yesterday. I decided to go to the grocery store that is within walking distance, for the first time. It is very expensive and I all ready knew this-this is why I have never shopped there in all the years it's been in town. Anyway, they were playing classical music and I was really enjoying that while perusing their items.

As for Mozart, did you know he was a practical joker and basically a clown?? Two things I can think of right now: he put a hard candy in the bottom of his mother's bowl of soup and he would think nothing of jumping up on the dining table and start dancing around! Goofball! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts