Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but I need to rant, and Ken's already heard it, but I ain't done yet :lol: Where else, but on my forums can I rant?

All that work on like four signs, to find out as Ken is staining them, that one: they have "jumping" marks from the sander (and I hand sanded over the wood, so that shouldn't have happened,) and two: obviously, my wood conditioner is CRAP because there's dark spots where the stain took too much!!!! All that *$&#^$ work, and I may have to junk them all, and one is for the brother in-law, who's anniversary is this week!!! Ready to blow a freakin gasket at this point!

Rant over-as you were.

P.S. On a good note, our house sign has had two coats of white paint, and will get the other colors when dry, then to cut the remaining portion of hook, paint it, and attach.

Reactions: chessnut2

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Poor Barb she has had a bad day. :crying: Just shuck it off Barb it happens to all of us.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Barb, You are a perfectionist and you are very expert at what you do. Is it possible that in the eyes of others the flaws you find aren't noticeable?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
When Murphy strikes there is not much to do but accept it and go forward. I have had trouble with wood conditioner a few times myself and all you can do is scream "%#¥*" at the top of your lungs. I suspect Tom is right and they are not that bad. As Jon says it adds character.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No. They aren't going anywhere. Hoping we can fix them, but wanted them in the poly stage tonight. Oh well. Good thing I get out early this week. One of them can be left alone because of the type of sign. The others, they look horrible. @don, "Poor Barb" has been doing free hand signs and woodworking for 15 plus years. You don't want me to tell you what you can do with that "crying" symbol. I'm not 12. Don't speak to me like I am, thank you.

Reactions: cocobolo1

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Sorry to hear, Barb...it's especially frustrating when a plan that was coming together suddenly takes a turn for the worse...the timing is also exceptionally poor.

...I can only imagine the nightmares Ken will have until he gets the image out of his head of you turning into one of those hexenbeist from the TV series "Grimm"...teehee...

Like you said...if you can't rant here, where can you rant...I especially congratulate on your choice of timing-appropriate wording "*$&#^$"

Regards,

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Barb...I've only used the wood conditioner on softwoods. I don't know what kind of wood you are using for your signs.

I have noticed that I occasionally get that blotchy look as well, and it has to do with the density of the wood, or so it seems.

I don't have a tried and true solution, but I wonder if you were to give the wood another light sanding and try a little moire conditioner if it wouldn't improve. I'm only guessing, because I haven't actually tried that before.

Good luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Some where I read that we are our own worst critics. What we think is awful because it did not come out like we wanted, others love it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's worst critics..

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Barb...I've only used the wood conditioner on softwoods. I don't know what kind of wood you are using for your signs.

I have noticed that I occasionally get that blotchy look as well, and it has to do with the density of the wood, or so it seems.

I don't have a tried and true solution, but I wonder if you were to give the wood another light sanding and try a little moire conditioner if it wouldn't improve. I'm only guessing, because I haven't actually tried that before.

Good luck!
That's what we're doing, Keith. Ken re-sanded, removing the stain, but then portions had to be cut again. It's been conditioned again with a new can; so we shall see.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear, Barb...it's especially frustrating when a plan that was coming together suddenly takes a turn for the worse...the timing is also exceptionally poor.

...I can only imagine the nightmares Ken will have until he gets the image out of his head of you turning into one of those hexenbeist from the TV series "Grimm"...teehee...

Like you said...if you can't rant here, where can you rant...I especially congratulate on your choice of timing-appropriate wording "*$&#^$"

Regards,
:lol: :lol: Trust me Nick. A hexenbeist is nothing compared to what a woman turns into during labor. Ken is still trying to get past THAT one, and it's been almost 28 years :lol: so this rant was a "it's okay, honey. I'll go over it with the sander, and we'll make it all good." (This is why I say Ken does the sanding, staining, and painting: NOT my forte. This is a team effort: I create, transfer and cut, and he does the other stuff. Especially the poly, unless you want runs down the sign lol)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barb, that's what they make paint for.

Charley
No painting most of my signs, Charley. The only one that has truly ever been fully painted is the Red Devil Lure house number sign I'm doing for our house. (Which should be done by tomorrow night, I hope.)

·
Registered
813 Posts
A lot of what I made ended up in the trash can, then my wife would retrieve it and say " I can't see a thing wrong with this". My motto was "if I don't like it it doesn't leave the shop". Some times she & I just had to compromise. I understand your pain Barb. Hope the reworked versions come out ok for you. Perfection is not in the eye of the beholder, it's in the eye of the woodworker who made it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Sorry, but I need to rant, and Ken's already heard it, but I ain't done yet :lol: Where else, but on my forums can I rant?

All that work on like four signs, to find out as Ken is staining them, that one: they have "jumping" marks from the sander (and I hand sanded over the wood, so that shouldn't have happened,) and two: obviously, my wood conditioner is CRAP because there's dark spots where the stain took too much!!!! All that *$&#^$ work, and I may have to junk them all, and one is for the brother in-law, who's anniversary is this week!!! Ready to blow a freakin gasket at this point!

Rant over-as you were.

P.S. On a good note, our house sign has had two coats of white paint, and will get the other coloctrs when dry, then to cut the remaining portion of hook, paint it, and attach.
Barb, what I'm about to say is certainly said it gest, hope you take it in the way it's meant. What you say invites me to wonder if you seldom have projects that don't turn out the way you hoped that they would and therefore you get upset when an ocassional problem arises.

As for me, I make so many mistakes that I'm "broke to lead" so to speak so that when things go gunny sack and they often do, I just take it in stride, that's not to sy I don't get a bit frustrated but I don't get as upset about as you appear to have gotton in with your present project.

I suspect that by now you have cooled down and the BP has dropped considerably, hopw so anyway.

Jerru

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Barb, what I'm about to say is certainly said it gest, hope you take it in the way it's meant. What you say invites me to wonder if you seldom have projects that don't turn out the way you hoped that they would and therefore you get upset when an ocassional problem arises.

As for me, I make so many mistakes that I'm "broke to lead" so to speak so that when things go gunny sack and they often do, I just take it in stride, that's not to sy I don't get a bit frustrated but I don't get as upset about as you appear to have gotton in with your present project.

I suspect that by now you have cooled down and the BP has dropped considerably, hopw so anyway.

Jerru
Jerry, my projects, when done are always met with my critical eye; rarely am I completely happy with the finished project (i.e. the cuts, lettering, etc.) but realize that others may appreciate the finished product, and I'm just too d*mm finicky and a perfectionist with my own work. With this rant (and yes, the BP has lowered a bit since then, thank you :lol: ) it was beyond the usual mishaps that tend to occur with all of us when doing a project. Part of it was my own fault, thinking that my wood conditioner was still good, and I should have tested it on a piece of scrap, rather than on a good piece of wood. Ken was able to reverse a lot of the damage I think, and a newer can of conditioner was put on tonight. Poly was put on what was completed, and tomorrow, most of the items (I hope ) will be completed. I have a sidewalk sale to get ready for the 22nd and 23rd up in Clare.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts