Theo
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uber cool in my book.

OK, who has plans for it?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
In answer to your question that is cool. Way cool!

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's one place that has plans for several different styles. John Smith Organs
Not only that, but probably even more important, stuff on making your own music rolls. Now if I can just figure out how to make a music roll of Highway to Hell, Thunderstruck, Ol' Slewfoot, Five Pounds of Possum In my Headlights, and a few other popular classics, I'll be squattin' in tall cotton.

Thanks Oliver.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Can you imagine cutting and keeping all those parts organized? And working out the punch patterns had to be a mental workout as well. Amazing. Very nervous music.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Very Cool, but I think I'd put a motor on it. He looked tired, but was smiling at the end of the song. Was he smiling because he was proud of his organ, or smiling because he didn't have to turn the crank any more? What was he switching just behind and below on the front with his left hand?

There is another woodworking forum called "Family Woodworking" where several members have built hand crank organs. Those interested might want to search that forum for more information

Charley

·
Registered
Theo
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlie: Yeah, you could put a motor on it, but I wouldn't even think about that unless I had one in the front room. For me, it would sort of just not be in the spirit of the thing. However, my personal thought is, if you're going to power one of those, a small steam engine would be the way to go, that would definitely appeal to me, and still be in the spirit of it.

Neville: Yeah, I've seen that one before. Neat, but just isn't my cuppa. I like the crank part, and I like marble rolls, but all in all, you combine them and music and it is just not my type of thing.

Reactions: Gaffboat

·
2,392 Posts
Charlie: Yeah, you could put a motor on it, but I wouldn't even think about that unless I had one in the front room. For me, it would sort of just not be in the spirit of the thing. However, my personal thought is, if you're going to power one of those, a small steam engine would be the way to go, that would definitely appeal to me, and still be in the spirit of it.

Neville: Yeah, I've seen that one before. Neat, but just isn't my cuppa. I like the crank part, and I like marble rolls, but all in all, you combine them and music and it is just not my type of thing.
By putting a motor on it, you would be removing all of the "feeling" he injects once in awhile... Would not be the same...

Good exercise..... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts