Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And no complaining on the expensive tools you need to do woodworking until after you watch this.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@JOAT: Enjoyed the video, Theo. I don't do that much hand work but I don't buy fancy jigs and gadgets to do what I can do with out them

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@JOAT: Enjoyed the video, Theo. I don't do that much hand work but I don't buy fancy jigs and gadgets to do what I can do with out them
I don't buy gadgets either, but there are a lot of people out there that do, and largely things they could do as well, or better, without. I don't make gadgets either, just stuff I actually have a use for.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Me too, Theo. If I don't need it I don't want it taking up space. I do what I do for my enjoyment and a lot o my enjoyment comes from figuring out a way to do things without buying high dollar stuff. My age puts me beyond working for others or being socially correct when it goes against my grain.

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, when I need something, I make it if I can, rather than buying. Not much I can't actually buy if I wanted to (nothing expensive tho, too broke for that), but it's more fun making my own, and anyway what is sold usually doesn't meet my needs.

Example, I want a round tenon cutter to shape the base of my cane shafts to slip on a rubber tip. Besides being quite expensve for what you get, they aren't even close to what I want. So, I'll make my own.

And I'm not old, I'm middle aged. Of course I also am shooting for 140 or so.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
If I'm middle age I would have to be shooting for the 150 to 160 range. Not likely to happen.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That guy probably has never worn shoes so his feet are like saddle leather or inch thick calluses. Interesting video. I marvel at furniture in antique shops that were made entirely with hand tools.

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting watching this, and realizing that there is a fully equipped woodshop at his disposal, but still went with the hand tool methods.
That depends on what you call 'fully equipped'. Looks like the shops I saw when I was in that part of the world. They didn't buy any power tools, unless the savings in work time justified the expense, because power tools were expensive, and electricity cost too. But I would say he used hand tools because that was more cost effective. By the time the wood was set up to use a power saw or whatever, he could have already done that particular task with his hand tools. He did use a power drill and disc sanders tho, obviously they saved enough time to make using them worthwhile.

In Nam we were close to the beach - and no, I would not have swam there for big money, the beach was known locally as the town toilet at low tide. The local fishermen handmade a fishing boat there, just above high tide. And when I say handmade, I mean made by hand 100%, I never saw a single power tool in use - I used to swing by there when I could to watch progress. The boat was probably teak, about 30 feet I would guess, and even the nails were trunnels (tree nails - wood), you could see them sticking out all over the outside. Think I have pictures of that stuck away, need to check and dig them out if so. Very interesting to watch, just wish I could have gotten a closer look. And, unfortunately, missed the launch, so don't know how it was done.

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That guy probably has never worn shoes so his feet are like saddle leather or inch thick calluses. Interesting video. I marvel at furniture in antique shops that were made entirely with hand tools.
More likely he wears flip flops when not working, that was pretty much the standard footwear when I was in that part of the world, likely still is. It was always common to take them off at the door, and likely they would be a hindrance while doing work like that.

Gotta remember, in the real old days the lathe was about the only type of power tool available, so they didn't have a lot of choice. But they did develop a lot of different style of tools, for various work, like all the variety of molding planes for example. Anything you can do with power tools today, you can do with hand tools.

Reactions: OPG3
1 - 12 of 12 Posts