Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Oak Park box joint jigs are simply put: the best on the market. Once you have used them you will want a set. Yes, there are many other brands and other methods for making box joints but these win hands down for ease of set up and use. There is one thing that improves them; these jigs were designed before the Vacuplate system and they block the vacuum port. I decided to open the port through the jigs to take advantage of the built in dust collection. I first removed the router from the base, and removed the vacuum channel from the underside of the table. Next I fastened a jig in place and flipped the table top over. You will notice the large black knobs I used in place of the standard wing nuts and washers. They are easier to work with. I used a permanent marker to layout the opening location. Then I flipped the table top right side up and removed the jig. I marked all 3 of my jigs (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2") There are several ways to cut the opening, a template and guide bushing would be simple enough. Holes could be drilled in the 4 corners and connected with a jig saw or router. I have access to a milling machine so I am making the openings with that. With the addition of the built in vacuum these jigs soar over any other method.

Attachments

·
2,392 Posts
Mike, I agree... Those jigs are second to none the BEST way to make Box Joints!

It took me a long time studying all kinds of box joint jigs, etc.

Then, I started seeing how easy it was by watching The Router Workshop shows... I saw them on Sale... I got the whole set...

One of the best purchases I have ever made! :sold: :sold: :D :D

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=842

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Great idea, Mike and thanks for sharing it. Looks like I have some modifications to make :sold:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike, good job,,,I agree as well ,,,OakPark Jigs are the best :)

Here's just one more way to catch the chips from making box joints with the Oak-Park Box joint jigs if the user doesn't have the Oak-Park Vac.Port Base plate. :)

You will see a long box in the background of the pictures below, that has a vac.pick screwed to the back side of the fixture.
It's a easy one to make with some 1/4" & 1/2" MDF stock.

It's just clamped down to the router table top so it can put in place or removed quick and easy.

Because most of the chips from making box joints going flying (shooting) out the back side of the box joint jig(s) ,the fixture will catch them and put them in the vac.system. (bag) I also use this same fixture on the RadioArmSaw ..:)

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/jigs-fixtures/3616-deluxe-push-block-6134.jpg

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/jigs-fixtures/3617-deluxe-push-block-6135.jpg

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/jigs-fixtures/3608-deluxe-push-block-6125.jpg

http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/3543-deluxe-push-block.html?highlight=push+block

Bj :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Yup, I agree, the fences and the box joints are the best of Oak Park I think. Nice mod Mike. BJ, I think I have seen that before on your table and I liked it then and I like it now. I have to make one of these when I don't have anything else to do :) And that push block is on my list as well! Nice work guys!

Corey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Does this jig produce finger joints? A little dumb am I. Sorry. Is that the jig in the pics? :confused: Can't tell looking at the photos.

Cheers Tony. Melbourne.

·
2,392 Posts
rgum said:
Does this jig produce finger joints? A little dumb am I. Sorry. Is that the jig in the pics? :confused: Can't tell looking at the photos.

Cheers Tony. Melbourne.

Tony,

Yes, as Corey said, Boxjoints...

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=842

Those were my very first cuts making boxjoints using the Oak Park spacer fence jigs...

If this is what you want, it's the best, easiest, economical, wasy to do it... They are just plain G R E A T !!

You won't be sorry... you will be very happy...

Edit: Better yet, they're ON SALE again... now is the best time to get the set of 3 for a very good price!! Will be one of the best purchases you will ever make! (IMHO... it was for me.)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept forgeting to post the photo of the finished modification. Here it is, ready for action.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe, that hole is the modification for people who own the Vacu-Plate system. If you look at the second photo in my first post you will see the jig as it comes from the factory. It is next to the opening in the mounting plate that the sawdust is collected through. With the plate as it comes from the factory all the sawdust shoots off the end of the table. The modification of cutting the hole through the plate allows the Vacu-Plate to function and collect the majority of the sawdust.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
I bought the Vaccum system but I kind of unabled it the way I built the table. I need to take a brace off that I have underneath as it really isn't needed anyway. Just a pocket holed cross brace but it covers the mounting holes.

Corey

·
Registered
35 Posts
These mods are great Mike and Bob. Two uniquely different approaches to the problems. Makes me wanna do some more box joints! Rich

·
Registered
36 Posts
This thread caught my eye because it is marked "sticky".
Looking at it on its web page, I'm underwhelmed. How is this so superior than something you'd throw together when needed, other than being polyethylene instead of scrap plywood?

Even using a $5 chunk of new UHMW-PE, it's easy: slice off a strip to serve as the upright; route a dado with the same bit used to make the box joint; stick the little strip into the dado.

I must be missing something, based on the commentary here. How is this any different/better than any other?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,939 Posts
There really isn't anything magic about it other than the fact that it is low cost, very accurately made out of quality material and does what is expected of it.
Let's face it, many products in the stores can be home made by those who prefer to do things themselves, but there are others who prefer to spend a few dollars for an item that gives a guaranteed result with no wasted time, like people working 12 hour days.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JD, There are many jigs for making box joints. Yes, you could build this jig at home out of HDPE but I think it will cost you more than $5, after all your time is worth something. This jig is from The Router Workshop. It performs better than any other jig I have tried. The reason this thread is a sticky is because of the modification; cutting the openings for the Vac-U-plate system. This patented system installs under the mounting plate and does a very good job collecting most of the dust and swarf generated by routing. There is the added advantage that you are not fighting a dust collection hose over the table. The entire Router Workshop table seems very spartan when you first look at it. It is a well designed table with many accessories that install in seconds so you can spend your time routing instead of doing complicated set ups. I am a convert to this "Simple is better" approach to routing. If you have not seen the show, you can view The Router Workshop on www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love 'em

Well, I got my Oak Park Spacer Jigs in this week. Tonight was the first time I had to play with them. All I can say is WOW! I love them already!!!

I too, didn't want to drill holes in my router table, so I took a piece of 1/2 MDF and made a "sled" for them to ride on. Seems to work great.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 101 Posts