Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a router table bought from Oak Park like the one used by Bob & Rick on the Router Workshop and have problems with the base plates not fitting flush with the table top. If the base plate is not flush, I lift the router and plate from cutout in the table to see sawdust is under the plate (especially in the corners). Would it hurt the stability of the table to much to cut out the corners from the table groove where the router plate sits? This would help give the sawdust somewhere to escape.

thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
i have the same one i got the one with the vac. ports and i still have a little dust getting to the corners i just blow it out or use the air comp. that is what i do i wouldn't cut the corners out any you dont want any play in the base plate del schisler

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I modify my table to this vac system? Seems like I just need to drill a hole in my table and hook a vacuum underneath somehow. Do you have pictures (or are there instructions) of how the table is set up for a vacuum?

thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Bluegoose

Since you already have the Oak Park system, you will need to change your table plate to a Vacu plate for your router model and get some additional accessories to make the system work.

You will need 11" Base Plate with predrilled dust ports, Vacuum Manifold, Dust Port Cover, and Hose Adapter (to fit 2 1/4" vacuum hoses) all available from Oak Park or online at
http://www.oak-park.com/usa12.html

If you are the handy type, you could modify your existing plate by carefully drilling and cutting in the dust ports. (you didn't hear that from me)

I thought I could give you a url to the location of a demo video that I seem to recall seeing, as to how this works but can't find it right now.

Maybe someone else can provide the appropiate link, if I can't find it quickly.

On another note, check your gap along the edges of the base plate, if sloppy I would apply some electical tape to narrow the gap or add a cardboard shim along the table rabbet.

:cool: Ric :cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Del: I have the same table,and also had a build up of dust in the corners. I carved a spot in each corner toward the inside edge of the opening. It gives the dust a place to go. I also use a shop vac when I'm routing, problem solved.
Hope this helps Woodnut65

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the answers on the dust collecting in the corners. Every little bit helps. If you find the video on how to install the vacuum system, I would appreciate.

thanks
Doug

·
Retired Moderator
639 Posts
BlueGoose said:
Can I modify my table to this vac system? Seems like I just need to drill a hole in my table and hook a vacuum underneath somehow. Do you have pictures (or are there instructions) of how the table is set up for a vacuum?

thanks
BlueGoose, here's a picture of my setup if that would help. If you need a closer look of the table, let me know. I just dug this picture up from a post I did a while back.

Click here for a picture of my setup!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see the pvc pipes but I cannot see how they are connected to table or where they are connected to table to suck the dust. Maybe more pictures or description would be helpful.

thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bluegoose

I can't find that shop tip video, I got originally from Oak Park/Router Workshop, must have deleted it. :eek: :eek:

I do have some pics of the vac assembly, starting with the base plate. Notice the two holes to the right and rear of the plate.

The second pic contains 3 seperate parts the parts, the top part is attached to the underside of the table in the rear right hand corner, which will form a raceway or conduit for the wooddust to travel in.

The middle part attaches to the raceway and forms the inlet for your vacuum hose attachment.

The lower piece is attached to the side of your fence to form a raceway to the side hole in the base plate.

The rear hole on the baseplate collects the surface wooodchips and dust particle and removes the majority to the vac system.

The third pic is the same items in pic #2 but reversed.

Now you will note that, I don't have these installed in my table as of yet, because they won't fit a multi layer table top without some modifications as my top is 1/4" hardbord on 3/4 MDF laminated both sides. They will fit the Oak Park top.

Hope these pics help you understand how this works.

:cool: Ric :cool:

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
639 Posts
Here are the pictures!

I know I went overboard on taking pictures but I'm pretty sure some people are interested. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that with all the help and pictures I have received, I should be able to convert my standard router workshop table to be able to hookup a shop vac. I do appreciate all the help (especially the pictures).

thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
My problem is finding something to attach to the manifold on the Oak Park table. The arbitrary sizes of shop vac hoses of the varying makes seems to call for different sized manifolds to be offered, just like the different plates for router mounting. So far I have been unable to use the vacuum system because of this. Does anyone have an idea of what fits this? The pictures of the PVC attached to the manifold appear to be smaller than 2 1/4"

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bob, I appreciate the attempt, but the adapters/hoses shown for sale a Rockler do not marry to the manifold on the Oak Park table that I own. It is amazing to me that they chose this size of opening if nothing fits it. A brand/model or something would start me in the right direction.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.