Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This toolbox started out as a whim for a place to store "special" handtools. and some of my car buddies saw it and I took orders making several with different woods and trim details. I carved their names, date, and fabrication number in the lid and signed each one. The "personal" touch brought a few more $'s. It's a lot like the "red" tool box, except slightly larger. It's 26"w x 16" h x 14"d, and weighs 53 lbs. Thought I'd show it, maybe give you ww's an idea.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bj

Yes, Red Oak, just a clear lacquer finish. Here's another one in Red Oak, but done in a dark finish.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

How about a shot of the router bit you used for the drawer pull (front) ?
I think I know but it may help others make one if they would like too.

Bj :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To make that pull, the bit would be called either "finger pull" or "door lip", and would be a variation of this:

Or, some suppliers cary a profile sold in random lengths, that look like this:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hi Mike, that is a beautiful tool box. Really nice work. I would like to make a smaller version of this for my marking tools, maybe drill bits etc. Excellent for that as well. Nice job! You do some beautiful work.

Corey

·
2,392 Posts
cabinetman, aka "Capt. Marvel",

That is one of the best small tool chests I've seen.

You sure do good work, Mike... This is just awesome!

Thank you very much for showing...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Mike,
Thats very nice. I think those would sell good to machinest and if you made a matching rolling box under it it would be extra added attraction
Tour

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

You didn't say how much you get for one and I'm sure others would like to know also :)
Many of the members make and sell items they make at craft shows ,etc. and also if you don't mind how much do they cost you to make :) :)

I know the 1st.one will always cost more to make than the 2nd one, because now you have some of the stock you need on hand .
Also how many board feet will it take to make one plus some type of time they will need to put into one or what it takes you to make one.

NOTE**** I know the last time I asked about a price you said you would need to kill me ,if you told me, that's OK 1st. you will need to find me 1st.:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bobj3 said:
Hi Mike

NOTE**** I know the last time I asked about a price you said you would need to kill me ,if you told me, that's OK 1st. you will need to find me 1st.:) :) :) :)

Before you waste your time hiding, ask me about my military training.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
OK I will ask ? ?

My son-in-law just got out of the Air Force after 25 years and every time I ask him what he did in the service he would say, OK but then he would say, I will need to put your lights out for good,,, once you know.... :) :) :)

Just what is it with you guys in the service ,don't you just do normal jobs in the service or is everything T.S. :) :)

Here's the said part after 25 years of training in the service is now working in a auto garage repairing Hyd.Cyl. , I don't get it,because he can't use what it got from the service.... :( :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bj

Just pullin' your chain. I don't really talk much about my military life, but it was one of the highlights of my past. I was in U.S Army Special Forces in the mid to late 60's. Very gung ho, very Army. What more can I say about it?

Back to the toolbox. It's like you figured, the wood came off a stack and I never really kept track of BF. I would guess that actual bf would be somewhere around 20. Then add in 4 sets of full extension 12" slides, hinge, lid support, and some 1/4" Oak ply for drawer bottoms. Finally whatever finish to go on and the total is probably $80 - $100. The first few boxes, like the natural finish went for about $500. The plain box would take a good two days. Some of the real fancy ones with different woods, inlays, or carvings went between $2K - $3K. They could take a few weeks depending on how involved they were.

A very small market for them. Each one was signed, numbered and dated. Clients like that. All were by referral.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I mentioned to my Wife that I would like to built a toolbox on that order.. She asked, "What for? You have tool boxes"..
They just don't understand.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AxlMyk said:
I mentioned to my Wife that I would like to built a toolbox on that order.. She asked, "What for? You have tool boxes"..
They just don't understand.. :rolleyes:
Tell her it was really to be a surprise jewelry box for her!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts