Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination or are there less new folks joining the forum (meaning the rate of new joining)...?

And does there seem to be less questions and more "Lobby" stuff going on...?

...just wonderin'...not complainin'...

Reactions: Semipro

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Nick I noticed this a few months ago . At one time there were 3 to 4 people a day joining , now that's in a week. I think everyone who's into routers is here already lol

As for questions your right there too , but there's a treasure trove of information here regardless

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It goes in spurts. Right now there are summer chores and lots of places in No. America are too hot to consider heading into the shop.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Agree with what Cherryville Chuck posted about it being too warm in some locations for shop work. Also the better weather has people traveling, doing outdoor activities, vacations, etc., which cut into woodworking activities.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Roy Drake mentioned in a post that there is not a lot of new projects being posted. Beginning woodworkers come here looking for ideas on projects to build that are simple enough to get great results on their first effort. It is important that these projects do not require special equipment; just the basic router and table, saw, glue, a couple of clamps, sandpaper and an easy to apply finish. I would like to encourage everyone to give this some thought and build a simple project like this with photos and directions of each step. I will start off a new thread with a simple project and ask others to contribute projects to it.

How many are willing to do this? Remember what makes the forums the best place on the web for woodworkers is YOUR participation.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Roy Drake mentioned in a post that there is not a lot of new projects being posted. Beginning woodworkers come here looking for ideas on projects to build that are simple enough to get great results on their first effort. It is important that these projects do not require special equipment; just the basic router and table, saw, glue, a couple of clamps, sandpaper and an easy to apply finish. I would like to encourage everyone to give this some thought and build a simple project like this with photos and directions of each step. I will start off a new thread with a simple project and ask others to contribute projects to it.

How many are willing to do this? Remember what makes the forums the best place on the web for woodworkers is YOUR participation.
Mike I have several projects on the go and will post if anything ever goes together properly . I'm doing wall cabinets right now so I think I can pull that off (hopefully :))

Not sure if anyone would want to see some simple wall cabinets without doors , but who knows

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

I will, great idea Mike.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Good point

Is it my imagination or are there less new folks joining the forum (meaning the rate of new joining)...?

Total agree,could use more projects!
Seem to be missing some of the old members also,maybe you guys could PM your friends and make sure they are OK.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think that Chuck hit the nail on the head. It is way too hot to work in some parts of the country. We have had some 98-100 degree days and I can guarantee, that, the garage is another 10-15 degrees higher. I dread going out there. I have drawers to build for the planer stand, finish to apply, and I want to build a cart for my shop vac/dust deputy. However, I just can't drag myself out there to do it.

I have noticed a lull in the technical participation's, but, who wants to be dripping wet while doing a project? It'll pick up in a couple of months.

Bill

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I think that Chuck hit the nail on the head. It is way too hot to work in some parts of the country. We have had some 98-100 degree days and I can guarantee, that, the garage is another 10-15 degrees higher. I dread going out there. I have drawers to build for the planer stand, finish to apply, and I want to build a cart for my shop vac/dust deputy. However, I just can't drag myself out there to do it.

I have noticed a lull in the technical participation's, but, who wants to be dripping wet while doing a project? It'll pick up in a couple of months.

Bill
insulate it...
add an AC window unit w/heat...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
insulate it...
add an AC window unit w/heat...
I've damn near got the circuits in the garage maxed out. An AC window unit would do me in. Heat isn't a problem in the winter. I very rarely have to put big boy pants on even in the "winter" months. No heat needed for me here.

I'm fed up with the heat and ready to move to a cooler clime. I'd even be willing to put on big boy pants just to get out of Florida.

Unfortunately, family obligations have me tethered for now.

Bill

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
got the new service installed yet????

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
To be fair, everyone's got outdoor projects/maintenance/repairs to do. I (we've) been waiting all year for dry and warm to git'er done, so now it's here and the year is racing by!
SWMBO is not impressed with claims that 'It's too hot'....waaaay hotter in the dog house.

There's a forest fire* out of control about 5 miles from us and the ash is falling on everything. Painting my util. trailer ain't gonna happen until it stops. Same for the house trim. Meh.

(*It's only about 90 hectares at this point; not huge as forest fires go.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts

Agree 100%, Nick. However there are many reasons this may occur.

There are some members as busy as a one armed juggler and some of us are having a break....:wink:

I have not touched wood for over 6 months.......

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Roy Drake mentioned in a post that there is n

Mike you sound like us at the NWWOODWORKERS ASSOC. At the June meeting only one member showed and we have 80 members and usually get around 15-20 show for the meeting once a month. We can meet in the air conditioned shop at Woodcraft. Every meeting we say the same thing you just said, and maybe get one show and tell.

Summer months are when people get out of the shop and do other things.

Herb

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I go to the shop early in the morning and when it starts getting hot I go in the house. I have always hate hot weather ( cold too anymore). Here in the Midwest we are having lots of rain this year and it is pretty uncomfortable early some days. I agree that summer presents and requires lots of other activities for lots of people especially for those with younger know kids.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts