Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've come across this web forum many times while doing some router-related searches on the web, so I just joined it.

About me: I am an amateur woodworker with more projects on the go than is healthy :). Over time they have become more sophisticated, but they are not fine furniture quality yet (I have some way to go no matter what family and friends say!).

I have a regular job that has absolutely nothing to do with woodworking. In some ways, it is light years away from it.

I have been mulling over a career change of sorts, although quitting one job and starting a new business strikes me as something that requires some serious thinking beforehand. That said, I have the impression that many woodworkers have done just that. If that ever happens, it will probably be a transition rather than a sudden change.

I hail from Ottawa, Ont., Canada.

Bye for now,
Daniel

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to router forum

Reactions: jj777746

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
I've been self employed for 35 years now and really love the independence. However, you MUST get a solid grip on marketing and sales before you make the leap. A few people may come to you from among friends, but they will resent having to pay rates you must charge to make a living. For me, I choose a very narrow specialty and cut my living expenses down to near nothing so I could start without causing problems for my family. I was single. Presently, most of our consulting business comes from the web, email newsletter and referrals. I use a marketing method similar to what you'll find in a little $10 book on Amazon. Title is "Your First 1,000 Copies." It is about the book business for self publixhing authors, but it applies neatly to almost any business. At least start there. Marketing is the key to all business startups, and if you don't want to do that part, you won't succeed, and you can burn through a lot of money just keeping the wolf from the door. But the rewards are terrific if you succeed.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Daniel and welcome.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Daniel,
I am probably the closest member to you I live in St Clet near the QC/ON border. Nice to have another Canadian member.
Dan

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,080 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the support. My woodworking has been somewhat disrupted by a baby (first one). Between the day job and the diaper changes, there's not much time for anything else (even the day job suffers!)...

I almost forgot what question I had back in Sept 2017 when I registered, but I remember it now. Will post on the main forum.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Glad you're back. A baby changes everything in your life, that's for sure. You can still do what you want, just slower. If I were you, I'd work on CNC skills. I see that as the clearest path to having a woodworking business. You can do occasional jobs, build a portfolio, generate some startup clients. The hard part for a new dad is coming up with the money for a machine. But not a cheap or too-small one. Did you buy that book I suggested? Best thing I've ever read on "free" marketing over the internet. I posted a couple of pieces here over the last couple of years on making money with a CNC. I'm a successful business consultant who teaches how to do marketing, among other aspedts of business. You can do a lot of preparation before giving up your day gig.

Here's the post on making a good living from CNC...Kind of long, but pretty good stuff. If you use the internet and email marketing suggested, you can supplement your present income while working up to making a full time living. I suggest you heed the advice on making the laptop the center of your business. http://www.routerforums.com/cnc-routing/114441-making-nice-living-cnc.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.