Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time on.
I'm in the process of setting up my shop. I've attached a table to the Delta tablesaw for the Porter cable router. Recently I saw a switch, the same as on my tablesaw but can't remember where. It strikes me this would be good to have, so that I don't need to unplug the router each time for switching a bit. Where can I purchase one of these, or is there another safe method for switching bits? Thanks - Canajan :p :)

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
canajan,

I've put a Craftsman Power Switch for Router Table (Sears model #25188, $20) on my table, and it is a pretty slick upgrade. It brings the controls front and center, and it has two outlets on it, so conceivably you could use it to start both your router and vacuum (I don't think I could do that without tripping the breaker, however). The best feature is that I no longer have to bend over and hunt for the switch to turn the router off, I can do it with a bump of my leg, keeping both hands on my workpiece.

I still unplug the router when changing bits, but this switch makes that easy too. The switch has a cord on it of only a foot or two, so it is right at hand to plug and unplug. Its probably overkill, but I've only got ten fingers left and don't want to run the risk of them meeting a spinning cutter.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00925188000

·
Registered
13 Posts
I added a switch to my router table. I got a double metal receptical box. wired a 20 amp receptical in one side and a 20 amp light toggle switch into the other. I plug my router into the receptical, lock the actual router trigger in the on position and turn the router on and of with the switch mounted in a convenient spot by my right hand. It's around the corner so I don't bump into it and move the switch accidently.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I too have the switch from sears. There is a drawback to such switches though. If you have a router that has a "brake" on it, using such a switch will not allow that part to work. Meaning, you will wait much longer for the bit to stop spinning.
I only use the above switch for when I am using the shop vac with the router.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.