Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to route out a slot, (one inch wide and 15 inches long and thru the 3/4 oak stock with a 1/4 bit), the burshing and cap blew out of the housing! :'( I was going only half the thickness of the board. Did I do something wrong? Cap is busted and there is a small burn on one end of the spring that holds the brush in. :mad: I'm going to try to see who could repair them around Tinley Park Illinois, anyone know of one?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly...... a small cap came off the motor, (near the top of the router), the cap is broken and the spring is burned. What happen to the brush? Have you taken the other side off to see what it looks like?

You did not say what make of router you have but if nothing is wrong with the brush and you have not worn them down to the quick then most likely the vibration just caused the cap to come loose. In that case a simple call to the manufacture to order the broken part should be about all that is needed.

As far as what you were doing when this happen...... I might be wrong but that cut sounds a bit heavy..... but that is not what caused this to happen. You should check your brushes every (depends on how much you use it) couple of months and when you do this make sure the caps are on tight and in your case maybe a little more often since this happen.

If the brushes wear to far you can score the armature and then it will need to be turned or replaced.... this calls for a repair shop or a handy person

I live in Aurora IL and while I don't do repairs to anyone elses tools I do my own so I can't direct you anywhere, sorry.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it fixed!

Called Rockler and asked what I could do to have the Porter&Cable model 690 router fixed. They told me to go to Berland's House of Tools and they do repair anything. Went there today out in Joliet, Illinois which is only fifteen minutes away from me. I showed them my troubled router, they fixed it right on the spot and all I need was two new brushings and a cap. Total cost for that was only $10.00! Boy I'm happy to have it up and running!! Berland's do repair any brand and makes, new or old not just routers but anything u can name it! :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bluegillman said:
Called Rockler and asked what I could do to have the Porter&Cable model 690 router fixed. They told me to go to Berland's House of Tools and they do repair anything. Went there today out in Joliet, Illinois which is only fifteen minutes away from me. I showed them my troubled router, they fixed it right on the spot and all I need was two new brushings and a cap. Total cost for that was only $10.00! Boy I'm happy to have it up and running!! Berland's do repair any brand and makes, new or old not just routers but anything u can name it! :D
Way to go!

I hope you had some time to window shop at Berland's....... I've not been to the one by Joliet(have been to the one in Lombard??), I knew they had another place but not where. Maybe one fine day I'll take a drive and take a look. I always like their saying "If we don't have it, you don't need it."

Happy routing!

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts