Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Except the Dragon one, that is. I'm still waiting on my bits to get back to see if I can salvage it. But... Here's the other two. You can see the boo boo my router did to me on the sock one. Still needs it's "clothes line" and clothes pins to complete, but that will come when Ken gets the poly done.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Actually, no, I can't see it. Just goes to show, you don' need no steenkin' CNC.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, no, I can't see it. Just goes to show, you don' need no steenkin' CNC.
Thank you, Theo. But look at the bottom right corner. When I was scalloping the edge, somehow the router gouged it. Yup. I tell on myself all the time.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good Barb . I’m going to call you the human cnc soon . You must not drink very much cofffee before you proceed to route
Thank you, Rick. But really, as long as the bit is sharp and you can follow a line.... and the one thing I can't do that a CNC can, is dimensions. The sign I got when we got our new house? I couldn't do that.

But thank you for the compliment. Now if I can get out in the shed to get the templates made for the shapes.... We have one of those printers that's 36" wide, and I was able to get all the shapes I want templates for printed at work. When it was all said and done, it was over 16' long by 32" wide. Don't ask me to convert that to metric :lol:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Except the Dragon one, that is. I'm still waiting on my bits to get back to see if I can salvage it. But... Here's the other two. You can see the boo boo my router did to me on the sock one. Still needs it's "clothes line" and clothes pins to complete, but that will come when Ken gets the poly done.
You've got the terminology all wrong. They aren't "mistakes" but rather "custom, one of a kind features". Both look great to me.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

Looks great, Barb...

On your "booboo", since the original bit made the cut, couldn't you use the same bit, allow it to travel a bit more...? And use a clamped edge guide to limit the travel of the router one edge at a time...?

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thank you, Theo. But look at the bottom right corner. When I was scalloping the edge, somehow the router gouged it. Yup. I tell on myself all the time.
You're right. But next time that happens, just do the same on the other side. If anyone questions it, just tell them it's a design feature. Maybe a bit late to do that on this one.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great, Barb...

On your "booboo", since the original bit made the cut, couldn't you use the same bit, allow it to travel a bit more...? And use a clamped edge guide to limit the travel of the router one edge at a time...?
If I knew what caused it to gouge like that, Nick, I would attempt it, since Ken can repaint it, but I don't even know how it happened :crying: Just saw it after it gouged and thought "whoops. NOW what!" :lol:

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If I knew what caused it to gouge like that, Nick, I would attempt it, since Ken can repaint it, but I don't even know how it happened :crying: Just saw it after it gouged and thought "whoops. NOW what!" :lol:
Chances are the bearing got under the wood and the bit went in further than desired. Using a clamped on edge guide will always prevent that...

Nice stuff, ya got there...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Using a clamped on edge guide will always prevent that...
Who say what, how? I have NO idea how or what you're talking about :lol:

Remember, I got into this by picking up an old router (that weighed 50 lbs), traced a picture of Scooby Doo, and used the router to follow the lines. All the other stuff a router does? Well, I'm clueless. I hear people talking about it, but I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to how to use them. To use the gauge on the plunge to determine the depth I'm cutting? HA! WTH is that, and I have NO idea how to utilize it! I "wing" it with the whole thing. :laugh: I have no idea how to even set up what was it? A "edge guide." I think I got one, too, with the Makita I just got. Just don't ask me to set it up or use it lol

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Who say what, how? I have NO idea how or what you're talking about :lol:

Remember, I got into this by picking up an old router (that weighed 50 lbs), traced a picture of Scooby Doo, and used the router to follow the lines. All the other stuff a router does? Well, I'm clueless. I hear people talking about it, but I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to how to use them. To use the gauge on the plunge to determine the depth I'm cutting? HA! WTH is that, and I have NO idea how to utilize it! I "wing" it with the whole thing. :laugh: I have no idea how to even set up what was it? A "edge guide." I think I got one, too, with the Makita I just got. Just don't ask me to set it up or use it lol

Ok, then...let's see if I can make it clear as mud... :surprise:

Think of it as a straight edge or a straight piece of wood that you put across the sign, just the perfect distance away from the edge of your project piece so that your router's base goes up against its edge. Then you would adjust the distance so that the router's bit would cut the right amount of dimple on the edge of the board. Now, if you clamp that edge guide to your project piece so that it is equally distant from the edge, every time you push the router against the project board's edge to make the dimple, the router will only go so far because of the "edge guide" you clamped to your project board.

Then you would do the same thing for the opposite side of the project board and again for the sides of the sign.

It acts as a stop so the bit doesn't go too far...

Does that make sense...?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great work on your signs very nice. On the second sign (The lost sock) it can be fixed by hand router. I have been looking at it for awhile now. I can see 4 spots on the sign where the router bit has to go to fix the sign up in the other three corners that is if you want to fix it. But it looks good to me.

Graham

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you do exactly the same mistake on the opposite bottom corner then it looks planned, part of your artistic flair. Measure how much deeper the mistake is than the rest and put your router with that bit in it up against the bottom of the scallop on the good end. Clamp a board away from the router equal to the extra length of the deeper one and then you can rout a matching pair. I've always liked what Harry calls little mistakes like that. He calls them design opportunities.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does that make sense...?
Kinda... I'll let Ken read it. Maybe he can help me wrap my head around it. Guess I would need to see this in motion, then I would get it. I am blonde, remember. Doesn't always sink in right away

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts