Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this post belongs elsewhere or is not appropriate for this forum let me know and I'll correct it.

The other day my old drill press went kaplooy! The shaft that the check connects to came out. I pulled it down to drill and hole and while part of it returned back the shaft with the check stayed in place. I was able to loosen the front of the drill press and finish removing the shaft to see what I'm working with. Up till this point, there was some wobble in the run but not enough to cause issues for the less than precise work I normally do.

I'd rather fix this drill press than replace it. It was my grandfather's and is old. It has nothing on it identifying what it is so I'm at a loss where to even start.

I found this forum looking for reviews on drill press replacement and came across a number of people with experience repairing and restoring old drill presses who kept recommending fixing them over buying something new. I'm with you'all on that.

I'm posting a few pictures. Hopefully someone can identify the drill press giving me a place to start looking for documentation. Any other suggestions on how to precede are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Electrical wiring

White Gas Tool Automotive tire Auto part

Wood Milling Saw Tool Workbench

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you will have to remove the quill from the drill press to see what is going on. I attached a YouTube video that might explain things better for you. I know it is not the same model but it might give you an idea of what you are working with. There maybe a broken snap ring or something like that. Most drill press quills are pretty much designed the same. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delayed response.
That video is perfect! I guess once they figured a design was good they've just stuck with it for all these years. Minus a few minor changes it's all extremely similar.

I'm going to pull the shaft out and either take it to a machine shop or a tool repair place I've used in the past to make sure everything is straight, shafts aren't worn and find bearings.

Any idea from the pictures who the manufacturer might be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts