Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realize I joined this forum way back in 2009 but this is my first post. I live in the Pacific Northwest, am retired and love woodworking and woodturning.

My reason for posting is I have been working with SendCutSend to make router templates for some things I'm working on. I have a Rockler Router Lift FX, which they aren't selling anymore, on a Rockler router table. Because I also have been working on replacing door, window and passage trim on a 100-year old house, I had some custom router bits made but also needed to adjust the Rockler plate inserts. These are generally made from ABS plastic although the newer lifts might use metal inserts. I gave SCS a try, using their online Parts Builder, to create 1/8" aluminum plate inserts with a variety of center holes and six 1/8" holes for mounting (they don't countersink yet but that's the easy part). SCS has a minimum order of $29, which is the cost of two Rockler inserts. I was able to purchase five inserts for $30, which included free shipping and no tax in my state. I discussed saving my plate designs as a "product" making it easy for others to order directly from SCS. I've used my first one, a 5/8" center hole for a trimmer bit, and it is rock solid. My lift works fine with a flat, 1/8" insert. Others router plates might require weird multi-level inserts but for those of you using at least the Rockler Router Lift FX, they work perfectly. I used 6-32 x 3/8" flathead screws after countersinking the holes.

I don't know if I am allowed to give the information above but SCS also suggested I sell the DXF files on Etsy, which I don't feel is right since I used their Parts Builder. I'd rather just point people to this source of custom template insert creation.

Wood Font Circle CD Auto part
Barware Wood Electric blue Publication Metal

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,311 Posts

·
Registered
21,998 Posts
Nice job. I gave up on my Rockler lift, just could not get it to stop dropping the router down in use. Went to a Triton, but got a twist lock, bayonet mounted insert. I just couldn't keep from losing those tiny screws. Nice job though. You seem to have some serious skills.

·
Official Greeter
19,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job. I gave up on my Rockler lift, just could not get it to stop dropping the router down in use. Went to a Triton, but got a twist lock, bayonet mounted insert. I just couldn't keep from losing those tiny screws. Nice job though. You seem to have some serious skills.
I had same issues, I just tightened the lift and it holds its location just fine. As for the screws, they're easy to find at every hardware store so having extras is not a bid deal.

The point of my posting was I could have this CNC company create router table inserts for a fraction of the cost Rockler wants. I used their Parts Builder setting dimensions for the outside diameter and location and size of all the holes. They can be made out of various materials and various thicknesses so you might be able to make some for your Triton router table insert as long as the plates are one thickness. If this forum allows me to post dimensions of the insert, I will do that. I probably should move this posting to a general forum article. (yes/no?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts