Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This group of picturesMy grand daughter is now 2 and a doll so she needed a toy box that could one day be her hope chest, so I started with Jatoba, or Brazilian Cherry. The dimensions were to be 42x24x20 the rest was up to my creativity. I did a few rough sketches by hand, calculated the wood I would need and went to work. I usually do things with a few concept sketches and the rest as I go out of my head----sometimes it works and sometimes well you know.

This group of pictures is from rough cut to ready to finish with some ideas that came along the way like how I put the bottom in to save some interior room plus I jut enjoy doing off the cuff things.

The last picture is ready to finish the top is not attached yet and weights in at 25lbs. My next post will be how I hinged the top and dampened it so as not to slam down on little fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Excellent! Love your choice of wood. What will you use to finish it?
Thanks for the series of pix showing the progress of the project.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finish is wipe on Poly gloss. As you can see the sideways pictures are still haunting me.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
The three compartments is a very interesting feature. I like that. Your choice of wood is excellent. Love Jatoba.
I'd suggest an oil based finish. Easy to maintain and touch up if needed. When the chest evolves from a target *S*
to the intended keepsake, then a more permanent kind of topcoat if desired.

Great job Jerry!!

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Looks really nice. I am looking forward to seeing he finished product.

Note: I had the same problem posting pics from my cell phone. I finally realized that if I opened the pic in the "crop" mode on the camera, then saved it, it would post in normal orientation. Most of the time, I didn't crop any of the picture, just went through the motion and then saved it. Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Holy Cow! that is the biggest toy box I have ever seen. That is no small project,you did a great job on it. Good looking material too. A lot of planing,jointing and clamping/gluing going on there. That will be hard to beat.

Are you going to put wheels under it so Mom can move it to Vac?

Herb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts