Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished the project I teased you with in an earlier post. This automaton is a gift for the widow of one of my best friends who left us earlier this year.

Although it looks pretty simple when you see it finished like this, I’ve been working on it for about six weeks. Since I never have any real plans there’s a lot of trial an error involved and sometimes several days are invested trying to tweak something to make it work. Actually, all the gears were the easiest part to make once I determined what gear ratios and sizes I needed. Of course you always have to remember that when two gears mesh they are going to turn in opposite directions so I had to make sure the wheels turned correctly so he wasn’t driving backwards.

All the emphasis on lunch is because his greatest pleasure in life was having lunch with friends and anyone who knew him was familiar with the phrase, “Let’s do lunch.” I also snuck his widow, Angie, into the scene as so she wouldn’t be left out.

Actually this is a prime example of “mission creep” in a project. I had originally intended to make a really simple car cutout that would just sort of bounce up and down when the handle turned. Something I could easily knock out in a day or two. Then I thought, hey, what if the driver waved and what if we had more road stuff? Things got more complex. Anyway, here’s the result:

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
Well as always that's another outstanding project Oliver ! You've got such an incredible imagination , and the skills to go along with it .
Love this project , and the sign was a nice addition . Love how you got it all to work , thanks for sharing

Btw , you make great videos too ;)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You're Mad, Oliver. Mad!!

Good thing you don't use those powers to do evil things.

HJ

That's neat. Lot of brainpower got exhausted doing that.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sorry fo the loss Oliver...
gotta agree..
you are one mad creator...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Awwwwwwesome! Absolutely awwwwwwwwwesome! Nice tribute to an old friend. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also sure his widow will love.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Oliver, great project and video. enjoyed every second of it. You sure create some wonderful things and they really work too. Your mechanical abilities, and grasp of mechanics are second to none, and combine that with your artistic abilities put you way above anyone I know.
Herb

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Wicked cool. I miss the Burma Shave signs.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Wonderful!! And I too like the Burma Shave reference.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Very nicely done Oliver. I'm sure Mack would be impressed.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You never fail to entertain with your creativity. Great job, as always.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would say you have crossed the line from woodworker to artist. That was incredible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts