Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is another Woman's Treasure lol

Ken called me at work last week and says " 6" Delta Jointer Yes or No?" Well, that was a stupid question! He brought it home, plugged it in, and lo' n' behold, it whirred right up. The Fence Bracket was technically broken, but Ken said he could secure that with a bolt. Can't get a new one, but with the bolt Ken put in, it's holding.

While playing with it yesterday, we smelled the belt on it getting warm, we I have to look for a belt for it. Hoping I can get one, because when I tried to find other parts, Delta no longer offered them. If it only lasts a little while, well, I'll have had one for a time, anyway, until I can get another one, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Take the belt to an auto supply house who should be able match it for you. Or, consider a link belt. They run quieter and last longer. I've been running the one I linked above for 15 years.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the belt to an auto supply house who should be able match it for you. Or, consider a link belt. They run quieter and last longer. I've been running the one I linked above for 15 years.
Oh DUH!!! LOL forgot about that. Ken will have to take it apart and see where it's at or I may d/l the manual to it.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Barb...congrats on your acquisition...

When you take the belt off, make sure the head moves smoothly...just to make sure it's the belt that is failing and not the parts giving it resistance.

And make sure the pulley's are clean in the groove...somebody may have use some belt dressing on it and left some "goop"...

Good luck with it...

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The manual...

Attachments

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Barb...congrats on your acquisition...

When you take the belt off, make sure the head moves smoothly...just to make sure it's the belt that is failing and not the parts giving it resistance.

And make sure the pulley's are clean in the groove...somebody may have use some belt dressing on it and left some "goop"...

Good luck with it...
Thanks, Nick. Will do. And dbl thanks for the manual. However, it's the wrong model. I can't seem to find mine. (I'm cheating; working and playing at work.)

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Do as Nick says and check to see that the head moves freely. The bearings are replaceable and available from any industrial supply that supplies power transmission parts (belts, pulleys, sprockets, chains, etc). There may be an adjustment under the casting that allows to tighten the belt. You can turn it upside down to work on it. Just sit ot on some blocks about half way to the ends to keep it off the guard and cutter head. The guard should come off easily too. They do that so that you can use them to cut rabbets with. A jointer is the fastest machine I know of to make rabbets.

You also need push blocks to operate it safely. The standard ones that comes with jointers are garbage in my opinion and dangerous at the worst. Make one of your own at least for the pusher block. It should have a 1/4" cleat hanging down to make sure you have positive engagement of your work piece as you push it over the blades.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Before doing all that... check the tension on the belt. Its just like an auto fan belt. If its too tight it will get hot.

And if that fails go to any auto store and take your belt with you. DONT tell them what its off, just ask for a new one. They have a clever little gizmo that will measure the belt exactly and then they can supply a replacement.
If you ask for a part number for an obsolete machine, you will just keep getting the "nope" reply.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken is going to take it apart in the back and see what he can see back there. Probably won't be until this weekend, though. As for the model, it's the 37-285 R (only 37-285 is listed, however) and the two parts I need (44, fence) and (61, guard) are no longer avail. I at least have the part numbers (1342715 and 1347178), so I can hunt for them maybe from one that's no longer running, or something. The guard part, while busted, was still usable; Ken just had to add a bolt, and it's secure. I would feel better if I could find the replacement, part, however. This is only a five (5) year old machine, so I don't understand why I can't get the parts. Frustrating, but I'll find them, or call my friend who scraps. The thing weighs a ton! :lol:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before doing all that... check the tension on the belt. Its just like an auto fan belt. If its too tight it will get hot.

And if that fails go to any auto store and take your belt with you. DONT tell them what its off, just ask for a new one. They have a clever little gizmo that will measure the belt exactly and then they can supply a replacement.
If you ask for a part number for an obsolete machine, you will just keep getting the "nope" reply.
:lol: I used to work for Advance Auto... know all about the "gizmo," used it plenty. You can tell them what it's off of (at least you could at my store); just ask them to find out the size, and you need a belt similar as possible. If they aren't willing to help, find another store. They aren't worth your money. Plain n' Simple. :wink:

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Where is the fence? I don't see it in the pictures.

Another place to try for parts is www.ereplacementparts.com. They carry many replacement parts for Delta Tools and most other brands of tools, even the brands that no longer exist. Enter the brand and model number and it should open to an exploded diagram and parts list. The parts list should tell you if it's in stock and the price.

Fastenal, Grainger, bearing and power transmission distributors, and other industrial supply houses are good for finding bearings locally or over the internet. The numbers on the side of the old bearings are all you need to find a replacement.

Your blade guard should just pull straight up to remove it, but there is a knob and spring underneath where the shaft goes through that you need to turn and hold while replacing the guard. How much you turn it before inserting the guard shaft will determine the return force on the guard. It needs to always swing back fully after the wood pass by it.

The best joiner and planer knives that I've found come from Infinity Tools. They should have them to fit your planer. The knives can also be resharpened by local sharpening services if not too badly damaged. Getting them both set to the same height and parallel with the table surface is tricky and time consuming.

Post pictures of the broken fence. I, or somebody else, may have some joiner parts that may fit it. Also, see if Woodworkers Supply has the part you need. Many of the older Delta tools were copied by the Chiwanese manufacturers. I have a WoodTek branded Joiner that is a nearly exact copy of an old Delta joiner, and I bought it from Woodworkers Supply. If they are selling a joiner that looks like yours, it's very likely a copy of it and parts should fit.

Always use well designed work feeding tools to feed your joiner, Keep your fingers well away from the blade area. The 6" rule for keeping away from the cutters definitely applies to joiners. "If you find that your hands or fingers are or will be getting less than 6" from the cutters, STOP and find another way to do it."

Charley

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is the fence? I don't see it in the pictures.

Charley
Charley:

It didn't have it's fence, and Ken had to "fix" another part. Both of the parts I need, are in my last post :smile:

As for the rest of your suggestions, I will definitely look into it all. Ken hasn't done his full inspection, or cleaning on it; wanted to make sure it would work before he put any real time into it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Congratulations on the great find. I have an old Delta 6" jointer, gave $300 for it and it's a pleasure to use.

·
Official Greeter
8,154 Posts
Nice find Barb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts