Well, that was not exactly the first word I said. Had great hopes for the pattern and the crack was on the bottom to be filled later. That was not the cause of the blow out.
Stilll not sure how I did this but I think the jig slipped or raised slightly and the bearing rode in under it. In any case I consider it fortunate that the whole thing didn't come apart on me. At least I live to route another day.
What a shame...beautiful piece. Cut the whole top off on all sides to match the "design character"...then glue in another top, say walnut, and start again...that'll save all the segment work, I think...
GO into Save Mode, Jon and see if you can come up with a way to fill it back it.
Do you have any scrap with the same pattern,or one with a similar pattern you can cut out the ruined piece and fill back in with a new piece?
Maybe glue a handle on there?
Maybe saw that whole side off and move it in making a small one?
Is this a box or a bowl?
Appreciate all the comments and possible " fixes".
These were the last blocks from previous cutting board designs that I thought would make a nice shallow catch all bowl for keys, loose change etc. For now it will sit on the shelf until I come up with a new design to finish it.
I would have liked to see the finished object, as I am sure you would have too. It is a very nice idea.
It always scares me to rout an object that you can not see the cut.
I assume you were cutting this one up side down? is that right.
Question: Was this in multiple cuts or one run?
A while back, I made a high chair for my great grand daughter and when I made the tray. I cut it with a hand held router.
I used the uncut portion to balance the router on until I got too close to the edge, then I clamped a scrap piece next to the uncut side and used it to balance the router.
I believe I posted pictures of it before, but I'll try to find them.
Sorry, it says the pictures are too big, I'll have to get Sandra to down size them or something.
Unless one of you guys knows how to do this.
I broke 800 post.. whoo hooo.
I'll catch Stick soon.
Lets see. 11 years at 72 post a year, and Stick is at 29244, I 'll be able to catch him in, lets see 72 divided into 29244 is about...……?? and I am 77..hmmm??
I've got insulation to install, no time for this.
Looking at it I think the template broke loose. You can see the taper from the middle into the blown-out hole. It also looks like that side was glued on and not part of the original blank.
Another way to save this, since this was a one-off piece of scrap from a cutting board, would be to cut off this side and the opposite side and glue on new sides from some similar material. It really needs to have the grain running in the same direction so a small glue-op would give you the material needed. I would also clean up the bottom and thickness the new sides before gluing on the new sides. That would give you a catch-all dish with 2 sides with the curved bottom to help retrieve items stored in the dish.
This was a top down cut. The router was mounted on a plexiglass sled riding on a broad template. The majority of the waste in the center had previously been hogged out with a Forstner bit on the DP so the majority if the cuts were lite. @MEBCWD
Mike: on review I am inclined to agree that the template slipped. I've not had a problem with that on previous bowls but as the saying goes, there is a first time for everything.
The side with the blow,out was integral to the bowl initially. I decided to cut it off on the TS after the blowout before I took the picture. So, it is just leaning there. Good catch.
I like your suggested approach for the fix. I'll dig around in the cutoff bin and see what might work.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to router and woodworking professionals and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about different types of routing and routers, shop safety, finishing, woodworking related topics, styles, tools, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!